what is something, what is nothing

Prawnapple

Expert Member
@saturnz I'll pay you money via paypal if you correct the heading to read, "What is something, what is nothing?" - My OCD is kill.

rwenzori

Honorary Master
'Something' is what we call something: 'nothing' is what we call nothing. Language can be a bastard.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Something = truth
Nothing = everything else

Not so?

If it is true that there is nothingness, then nothingness also exists (it is something) :p But this is a contradiction (nothing can't be something), therefore it is not true that there is nothingness.

Valid argument (I think), but is it sound (Are the premises true)?

Just a random musing for the day :)

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Something = truth
Nothing = everything else

Not so?

If it is true that there is nothingness, then nothingness also exists (it is something) :p But this is a contradiction (nothing can't be something), therefore it is not true that there is nothingness.

Valid argument (I think), but is it sound (Are the premises true)?

Just a random musing for the day :)
I agree with Bobbin. There's no such thing as "nothing". There is only something.

saturnz

Honorary Master
I agree with Bobbin. There's no such thing as "nothing". There is only something.
from a purely empirical view point, we have yet to observe nothing

it is only a philosophical concept as such, and the last time I checked, this is the philosophy section

Prawnapple

Expert Member
from a purely empirical view point, we have yet to observe nothing

it is only a philosophical concept as such, and the last time I checked, this is the philosophy section
Even philosophically speaking, what on earth is nothing? Philosophically speaking, there is only something. You could think of a "time" before the universe came about and call that nothing. You can even look at a time before inflation and call that "nothing". Where would it get you and what would be the point?

Bobbin

Executive Member
I think there is only something. Can't pose an "is" onto nothing. Can only say there isn't nothing, which seems grammatically strange but true.

And the absence of something surely still can't mean nothing. Because nothing can't be present in the absence of something. It has no presence.

Bit of a mind twist ain't it. :p

Ponderer

Expert Member
Even philosophically speaking, what on earth is nothing? Philosophically speaking, there is only something. You could think of a "time" before the universe came about and call that nothing. You can even look at a time before inflation and call that "nothing". Where would it get you and what would be the point?
If there is only something and no such thing is nothing, what then is the difference between 1 and 1?