What is the best small automatic?

airborne

Honorary Master
If a car was manufactured in 2015 but registered in 2020, does this ring alarm bells?
Very weird but if there's a logical explanation it may be a good deal for a nice vehicle. That does sound like it was code 3, as in significant accident then scrapped, rebuilt and then re-registered in 2020. It will say code 3 on the registration certificate.

Synonym

Thanks for the replies. Can dealerships get away with "on the road costs"? I explained to them this shouldn't be included, but I was told it's another department and all dealerships charge this.

Also, can I request a Dekra check before buying?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thanks for the replies. Can dealerships get away with "on the road costs"? I explained to them this shouldn't be included, but I was told it's another department and all dealerships charge this.

They still do the on road costs and despite people saying fight it and and. They won't drop it.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master

It's their hidden tax.

Unethical but it's our choice to buy from dealerships.

Unlike when I bought my car, there seems to be at least some value in getting them to do the admin now with queues at licencing departments.

For example, I just settled my car yesterday and apparently I'm going to be "requested" by Wesbank to pay a small R350 fee to handle the paperwork on my behalf. No problem as I ain't standing in queues in this wet cold Cape weather.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master

I regret not doing that and should have paid for a full check.

Would have resolved many small things that I discovered in the first year

Would still have bought the car, but I would have had small things corrected before taking ownership.

unobeat

Let the dealership take care of the registration as currently the process is a headache.

Yes, get the Dekra road test done on the car as it will give you an idea of how healthy the car is.

Also check for reviews about the car dealership as it will give an idea what kind of cars they sell.

So what car are you settling on?

TheChamp

Honorary Master

You did it wrong by asking that they should be dropped, it just makes it sound like a demand that is not based on anything.

The proper way to go about it is to ask for a breakdown of the fees, and evaluate each item on it's merits, like asking them to drop the delivery fee because you would be collecting the car yourself. Some costs are valid like registration and fuel costs.

At the end of the day it all depends how desperate they are for the sale, they could reduce the fees if you prove that they are taking a chance.

Synonym

You did it wrong by asking that they should be dropped, it just makes it sound like a demand that is not based on anything.

The proper way to go about it is to ask for a breakdown of the fees, and evaluate each item on it's merits, like asking them to drop the delivery fee because you would be collecting the car yourself. Some costs are valid like registration and fuel costs.

At the end of the day it all depends how desperate they are for the sale, they could reduce the fees if you prove that they are taking a chance.

Thanks for the reply. License and registration is separate (1k) and I can understand. But almost 5k for delivery fees? I queried this nicely asking for a breakdown but was told it is admin costs and can not be broken down. I was also told this admin fee is common with all dealerships.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Thanks for the reply. License and registration is separate (1k) and I can understand. But almost 5k for delivery fees? I queried this nicely asking for a breakdown but was told it is admin costs and can not be broken down. I was also told this admin fee is common with all dealerships.
True it is common but it can be negotiated, the best way to deal with a dealership that doesn't even make an effort is to walk away.

mattrudlles

Expert Member
We've been really happy with our VW Polo TSI (DSG box). The Isofix works well. @Synonym we had a lot of trouble getting the right car seat though. Honestly, there is so much misinformation and incorrectly specified parameters for seats re ISOfix and rearward facing age and weight limits. Anyway, we eventually settled on the Joie Every Stage FX as we needed a seat to work with both seatbelt and Isofix. Good luck if you are still in the market for a car seat too.

Last edited:

Ϲhristopher

Instead of starting a new thread I'll just continue this one:

I am also looking for a reliable small auto, max budget R200k, preferably new or almost new.

So far, the list is:
1. Kia Picanto 1.0 AT Start
2. Hyundai Atos 1.1 Motion AMT
3. Suzuki Celerio 1.0 GL AMT

Are there any other options worth considering that are reliable, cheap to run/maintain/insure, have a long warranty (5+ years) etc.

airborne

Honorary Master

I am also looking for a reliable small auto, max budget R200k, preferably new or almost new.

So far, the list is:

Are there any other options worth considering that are reliable, cheap to run/maintain/insure, have a long warranty (5+ years) etc.
I'm assuming those are all turbo charged or they'll be pretty sucky with an automatic?

Last edited:

Crayons

Expert Member

So far, the list is:

Damn, those little shxt boxes cost R200K. Look for a Toyota Startlet.