What is the cheapest way to call SA landlines from abroad?

JuliusSeizure

Executive Member
I may be moving abroad soon for a while and may also need to make calls locally every now and then for work purposes.

Is Skype the best option for this or are there others? Are there any that would allow me to use my SA Mobile No as my caller ID? I know Skype used to offer this a while back.

No idea where you are moving to but many of the networks in the UK offer plans like making international calls, 100 minutes for £3, and then £10 for unlimited /1000 minutes etc.

No idea where you are moving to but many of the networks in the UK offer plans like making international calls, 100 minutes for £3, and then £10 for unlimited /1000 minutes etc.

Possibly Japan but looks like processing might take some time.

Get a MTN sim card and use wifi calling. It'll come in handy as well because sometimes you'll need to receive OTPs to a local SA number for various stuff.

A VOIP phone service
WhatsApp
A UK SIM as described

Get a MTN sim card and use wifi calling. It'll come in handy as well because sometimes you'll need to receive OTPs to a local SA number for various stuff.
Not so sure about MTN WiFi calling - I have a MTN SIM and live in the UK and does not work. Cell C does though - kinda perfectly.
Also, ported my landline to a VOIP provider and use a Siemens IP cordless.

Both solutions are not rock solid, though. Get drops, not great sound, etc. but could be as result of distance and router set up...

Technically this is illegal. Calls originating from abroad destined for SA must carry its original country of origin DID. If you are using a SA voip provider and travel outside the borders then its "ok".
No you cannot display your mobile number on any network, but the owning network. SA operators know exactly which numbers belong to which operators, which is recorded and distributed to all parties using the porting database. Receiving parties block sending parties if the sending number (CLI) does not belong to them. Vodacom seem to allow the sending of any number though, to their network

I don’t do it often, but I still have a Skype account. Checking now, it costs 11c a minute (USD).

I don’t do it often, but I still have a Skype account. Checking now, it costs 11c a minute (USD).
My mobile phone costs 5p/min to SA landlines and 15p/min to cellphones.

You can also use a service like Call Centric, you can get number from most countries and they offer low calling plans to alot of countries.

Back