What is the future of self-driving cars?

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The future of self-driving cars

Following a fatal accident involving the autopilot feature in a Tesla Model S, Al Jazeera asks experts about the future of self-driving vehicles.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The future of self driving cars is still in the far distant future and it's a nice thing to think about.

agel

The future of self driving cars is still in the far distant future and it's a nice thing to think about.

How so? Unless you're being sarcastic? Because this stuff is happening right now...

TheChamp

Honorary Master
How so? Unless you're being sarcastic? Because this stuff is happening right now...

The likelihood of the car driving you all the way from Durbs to Joburg in the next 10 or 20 years?

I know the manufacturers are doing this already and the cars are looking nice in the workshops floor but that is as much as we will see of them in the near future. There is just too much to be done in terms of technology, infrastructure, legislation etc.

Between now and then the driver assistance features on modern cars will do just fine.

Last edited:

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
The cars are here, but the infrastructure is not ready. Still a long loooong way to go.

Imagine a Self Driving car having to deal with e.g. the taxis, and robots that are always out here in JHB? Or driving through
Lagos or Mumbai road congestion?

Self Driving cars are great for the Developed World with its well developed road infrastructure and its aging population, but the rest of the world is nowhere close to ready.

Jola

Honorary Master
I agree with the above, I recently did a 5000km road trip in the USA, I can see it working there.

But, in SA, with taxis, bad road markings, bad attitude, poor road conditions, blue light convoys, not a chance in hell !

Beachless

Executive Member
Self driving cars are a reality and have proven to be safer than humans. One incident is hardly the end of the world. This could have just as easily happened to someone using cruise control.

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
Self driving cars are a reality and have proven to be safer that humans. One incident is hardly the end of the world. This could have just as easily happened to someone using cruise control.

Yes, I agree with that, cruise control could easily cause an incident like this.

Self driving cars are a reality and have proven to be safer than humans. One incident is hardly the end of the world. This could have just as easily happened to someone using cruise control.

Agreed! But even without cruise control, this technology has already proven it is far safer than a person behind the wheel. What I am interested in and trying to follow is the ethics behind the programming...
Check this out: https://ascent.atos.net/the-ethics-of-driverless-cars/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW PROMISES FULLY AUTONOMOUS CAR BY 2021

The iNEXT concept, previewing the fully autonomous BMW of 2021?
BMW says it has joined forces with Intel and Mobileye in a bid to bring “highly and fully automated driving” into series production by 2021.

The German automaker says the BMW iNEXT model will be the foundation for its autonomous driving strategy and set the basis for fleets of fully autonomous vehicles, not only on highways but also in urban environments for the purpose of automated ride-sharing programmes.

“BMW Group, Intel and Mobileye are convinced that automated driving technologies will make travel safer and easier,” the Munich-based manufacturer said.

The specific goal of the automaker’s collaboration with the two tech firms? To develop “future-proofed solutions” that enable drivers to not only take their hands off the steering wheel, but also reach the so-called “eyes off” and ultimately “mind off” levels of automated driving, transforming the driver’s in-car time into leisure or work time.

BMW says this level of autonomy would enable the vehicle, on a technical level, to achieve the final stage of travelling “driver off”, i.e. without the need for a human inside.

“This establishes the opportunity for self-driving fleets by 2021 and lays the foundation for entirely new business models in a connected, mobile world,” said BMW.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/bmw-promises-fully-autonomous-car-by-2021/

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No chance in hell you will catch me in one of these things .....

I drive a car not the other way around ... end of story ....
And thanks for warning me to avoid BMWs ....

Absinth

As per Gartner (July 2013) Autonomous Vehicles will a reality (available to buy/in production) between 5 to 10 years.

It is an old report...

FiestaST

Honorary Master
1 Q. The future BMW self-drive cars that are many years away...

Do their indicators work?