What is the objective of government during this COVID19 crisis?

alanB

You may share my arc of viewpoint during this whole crisis, as it unfolded.

At first I was pleasantly surprised by the government's response. They acted quickly, decisively, taking on board the advice of medical experts. I was in complete support of their initial response. I realised that we were facing a massive problem that needed a national response. I also realised that facts were limited, and speed of action was essential.

But as a friend of mine commented to me last night, "if one reads through the initial government statements and communication about the national response to the virus, including the evident thinking and sentiments behind that, and compare that to the absolute authoritarian, seemingly confused, nonsensical drivel we are being fed now, where we are being treated like the enemy in our own country, or stupid naughty children that should be scolded and punished for the slightest infraction, it's as if completely different people wrote those statements".

Which made me think - are different people in fact in charge now? But that's beside the point.

But what ever the case, I have lost trust in where this is all going. In fact I now think the virus is the least of our worries, we have a far bigger problem on our hands.

I think this article has a lot of very good food for thought in this regard. I would invite you to read it and make up your own mind about whether it has any merit.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

At first I was pleasantly surprised by the government's response. They acted quickly, decisively, taking on board the advice of medical experts. I was in complete support of their initial response. I realised that we were facing a massive problem that needed a national response. I also realised that facts were limited, and speed of action was essential.

But as a friend of mine commented to me last night, "if one reads through the initial government statements and communication about the national response to the virus, including the evident thinking and sentiments behind that, and compare that to the absolute authoritarian, seemingly confused, nonsensical drivel we are being fed now, where we are being treated like the enemy in our own country, or stupid naughty children that should be scolded and punished for the slightest infraction, it's as if completely different people wrote those statements".

Which made me think - are different people in fact in charge now? But that's beside the point.

But what ever the case, I have lost trust in where this is all going. In fact I now think the virus is the least of our worries, we have a far bigger problem on our hands.

I think this article has a lot of very good food for thought in this regard. I would invite you to read it and make up your own mind about whether it has any merit.

The article is not entirely new, and similar views have been posted elsewhere. I don't plan to respond to it.

My response boils down to two main points, both of which I aired long ago:
1. I'm not personally afraid of the virus, but I am of people's reaction (and now the government too).
2. Authority figures throughout history have learned never to let a good crisis go to waste, to unleash their long held plans and deep rooted prejudices.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The article is not entirely new, and similar views have been posted elsewhere. I don't plan to respond to it.

1. I'm not personally afraid of the virus, but I am of people's reaction (and now the government too).
2. Authority figures throughout history have learned never to let a good crisis go to waste, to unleash their long held plans and deep rooted prejudices.
Exactly the same as you.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

They were written by different people. One was written by a rational thinker, the other was written by the arsehole in a hat and their communist collective.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The government is going to fight this invisible enemy. Don't you listen to the news.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Their objective is to scare us into perpetual compliance.

Fortunately for us, the ANC is so spectacularly incompetent, it will not work here for long.
Yup. I've posted elsewhere that they can forget about going back to level 5 or whatever the hell April was. The masses are not going back into the cage.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The people are rapidly realising that the government is the enemy.
But the invisible one, you know the one the world is scared of, how can we fight it. We will need to be locked down to keep the curve flat. Except for us and of course the people who don't follow curfews, lockdowns and such because they know the military can't do squat. So it's only you good little tax payers who listen.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master

Exactly the same as you.
Ditto - well said @Gordon_R

SlinkyMike

Executive Member

Your friend needs to keep their emotions in check when evaluating things of this nature.

The tone of a lot of the communication is aimed at people with less education, communicating in many cases in their 2nd or 3rd language.

If you are particularly fragile you might take exception to this and consider it an affront to your aged wisdom and erudition. If you are not prone to a knotted pentie you might be able to take a broader view and understand that governance is hard and it needs to cater to many different demographics, the lowest common denominator however, will always be the basis of these decisions and communications.

Most of the folks on this forum kvetching about restrictions are kvetching about things that are not aimed at them at all. Do you get drunk and stab people on a friday night? Hell no, but certain restrictions exist because people like that do exist.

The more privileged among us are being asked to knuckle under and in the broader strokes try to understand what is being implemented.

I personally agree that implementation has been iffy and that regulations have confusing at times, the president himself admits that but I do not agree with people who like myself, exist well above the breadline and are educated enough to understand what the government is trying to do but simply cannot see past their own nose long enough to reason. It's pathetic.

...and as for these morons who believe the government is plotting to remove democracy while simultaneously believing that the government is incompetent, well, which is it? Are they incompetent morons or are they evil masterminds with far reaching communist machinations behind the scenes. It can't be both.

kyongafri

Your friend needs to keep their emotions in check when evaluating things of this nature.

The tone of a lot of the communication is aimed at people with less education, communicating in many cases in their 2nd or 3rd language.

If you are particularly fragile you might take exception to this and consider it an affront to your aged wisdom and erudition. If you are not prone to a knotted pentie you might be able to take a broader view and understand that governance is hard and it needs to cater to many different demographics, the lowest common denominator however, will always be the basis of these decisions and communications.

Most of the folks on this forum kvetching about restrictions are kvetching about things that are not aimed at them at all. Do you get drunk and stab people on a friday night? Hell no, but certain restrictions exist because people like that do exist.

The more privileged among us are being asked to knuckle under and in the broader strokes try to understand what is being implemented.

I personally agree that implementation has been iffy and that regulations have confusing at times, the president himself admits that but I do not agree with people who like myself, exist well above the breadline and are educated enough to understand what the government is trying to do but simply cannot see past their own nose long enough to reason. It's pathetic.

...and as for these morons who believe the government is plotting to remove democracy while simultaneously believing that the government is incompetent, well, which is it? Are they incompetent morons or are they evil masterminds with far reaching communist machinations behind the scenes. It can't be both.

You can't seriously be this stupid, do cigarettes make people stab each other? Even better you have the audacity to proclaim the government can not be both stupid and evil at the same time.

Put the thesaurus down clown and stop reacting emotionally, there is serious trouble brewing and it is far more than your shallow understanding of what is happening currently. The future is at stake.

MissMapp

I gotta say I thought the lockdown was an appalling idea as soon as rumours of it began. It was so glaringly obvious that the cessation of all economic activity even for as short a period as 3 weeks was something our economy could not withstand. And to imagine the government would provide any safety net for businesses or individuals in dire financial straights was hopelessly naive. Also to imagine the lockdown could be effectively applied in townships where people just can’t live together in one room for weeks on end was delusional. Unless completely enforceable there is no point in having a lockdown. So the economy (shaky to begin with) has been ruined for nothing. And by ‘the economy’ I mean people’s ability to support themselves and not starve to death, not some abstract financial concept only relevant to the rich.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
You can't seriously be this stupid, do cigarettes make people stab each other? Even better you have the audacity to proclaim the government can not be both stupid and evil at the same time.

Put the thesaurus down clown and stop reacting emotionally, there is serious trouble brewing and it is far more than your shallow understanding of what is happening currently. The future is at stake.

Haha agreed does exercising on the street 9:05 make you stab people