What is the objective of government during this COVID19 crisis?

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
You can't seriously be this stupid, do cigarettes make people stab each other? Even better you have the audacity to proclaim the government can not be both stupid and evil at the same time.

Put the thesaurus down clown and stop reacting emotionally, there is serious trouble brewing and it is far more than your shallow understanding of what is happening currently. The future is at stake.
Conspiracy theories FFS people are so stupid.

What trouble pray tell?

SA is taking steps that many governments across the developed world are taking, to varying degrees. This culling of democracy master plan must have been on ice for some time just waiting for a global pandemic before they unleash their Final Solution.

I can't explain why cigarettes are banned though, it is baffling I'll give you that. Wait! is that why you okes are all going taatie? Nicotine withdrawal?

Haha agreed does exercising on the street 9:05 make you stab people
No but it does limit the amount of people out an about over a 24 hour period.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Do you get drunk and stab people on a friday night?
I'm trying to cut back. Of course right now I'm having to stab people while sober. Which is surprisingly effective.

Hell no, but certain restrictions exist because people like that do exist.
So you're imagining that those people are now unable to get alcohol or make their own? Interesting. Do you hear voices that tell you to do things?

But let's get back to reality. That violence more normally happens in a social environment. It isn't simply a product of alcohol. Similarly that parent who assaults their children while drunk maybe the alcohol really isn't necessary and they're still beating their children during their frustrated withdrawal stuck all day with their family.

The more privileged among us are being asked to knuckle under and in the broader strokes try to understand what is being implemented.
Plenty of people have tried to understand what has been implemented, but it is incomprehensible. Or at least ever-changing.

educated enough to understand what the government is trying to do but simply cannot see past their own nose long enough to reason. It's pathetic.
If you've figured out what they're actually trying to do you should let everyone know. Let the government know too. I'm sure they'll be excited to find out what it is.

...and as for these morons who believe the government is plotting to remove democracy while simultaneously believing that the government is incompetent, well, which is it? Are they incompetent morons or are they evil masterminds with far reaching communist machinations behind the scenes. It can't be both.
Now this I agree with.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Does it really though? I mean it's great for getting as many people as possible onto the street at once. The rest of the day people can still be on the street. They can even run. Just say you're going shopping.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member

What trouble pray tell?

SA is taking steps that many governments across the developed world are taking, to varying degrees. This culling of democracy master plan must have been on ice for some time just waiting for a global pandemic before they unleash their Final Solution.

I can't explain why cigarettes are banned though, it is baffling I'll give you that. Wait! is that why you okes are all going taatie? Nicotine withdrawal?

What our government has done is the equivalent of dropping a nuclear bomb on a riot and then saying they will deal with consequences later.

Heres the facts
- Around 7million jobs will be lost and 6 years to get the economy back to where it was before this.
- Increased unemployment by up to 20% and crime rates up by a significant margin (unbeknown currently).
- all people drawing full salaries during lockdown, Yes all the people putting their lives on the line fighting this are now getting taxed to hell. This would be a significantly less amount if sin taxes were being collected (Tito Mboweni said this and now NDZ is going after him).

No conspiracy theory at all in that the iceberg is coming and is going to hit hard its name isn't Covid though....

"is that why you okes are all going taatie? Nicotine withdrawal?" conspiracy theory much?

noxibox

Honorary Master
The question is which lives are they trying to save, and at what cost. The rich elderly versus the starving masses?
From a purely cynical point of view, assuming the government manage to avoid serious unrest, the majority of the poor won't get particularly sick, but it will kill off a lot of those collecting pensions or require the state to pay for ongoing medical care while probably not seriously reducing their number of voters.

smc

I'd suggest that some people are over complicating this. What's happened is that:
  1. The government's initial response was ok, in the sense that it copied other countries and was reasonably science based.
  2. The problem is, the lockdown failed, at huge economic cost. If anyone thinks the curve flattened, they're not looking at the actual data. Reasons - lockdowns works in middle class areas, not low income areas, testing has been hugely stuffed up, the government self sabotaged with minibus taxis, etc, etc.
  3. The scientists have told the government this, and that infections are inevitably going to soar. Are soaring, actually.
  4. The government is now in a flat panic, with all sorts of people running round trying to micromanage details that don't matter, because they have no ability to change the big picture problem. And no one wants to admit the truth. Bluntly, when people that can't deal with complexity end up in situations like this, they revert to their comfort zone, which is micromanaging - the equivalent of counting paper clips when the office is burning down. Or, in the case of at least one minister, the comfort zone is authoritarianism.

kyongafri

What trouble pray tell?

Please spell out the conspiracy theory, or do you not have a fundamental understanding of English?

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
No, there is no limit to the number of people out and about. It only limits the period in which people can go out.

Same number of people during a smaller widow of time means greater density and a greater risk.
Agreed, I don't think it is the same though. Even if a park is crowded for an hour or two, I figure that's less foot traffic over a 24 hour period. At least that's how I have tried to figure it out.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
But let's get back to reality. That violence more normally happens in a social environment. It isn't simply a product of alcohol. Similarly that parent who assaults their children while drunk maybe the alcohol really isn't necessary and they're still beating their children during their frustrated withdrawal stuck all day with their family.

The report highlighted that alcohol results were available for 80% of homicide deaths and that of those, 50% of homicide deaths tested positive for alcohol. That means that alcohol plays significant role in the number of homicides in the province.
Very well known in the FMCG industry. For more topical analysis, the drop in hospital visits since lockdown is googlable.

diapason

Expert Member
I personally agree that implementation has been iffy and that regulations have confusing at times, the president himself admits that but I do not agree with people who like myself, exist well above the breadline and are educated enough to understand what the government is trying to do but simply cannot see past their own nose long enough to reason.
We don't have difficulty seeing past our noses. Their length is not adjustable as are those of Guavament.

hexagon

Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

Follow the money:If you can plot which money streams are destroyed and which are growing, you can probably figure out whats going on for each province, I believe money talks.

Flanders

Honorary Master
...and as for these morons who believe the government is plotting to remove democracy while simultaneously believing that the government is incompetent, well, which is it? Are they incompetent morons or are they evil masterminds with far reaching communist machinations behind the scenes. It can't be both.
These are the people who destroyed the national airline and now want to give it a new lick of paint because that will fix everything.

It won't work...but it doesn't mean they won't try either.

BTTB

I'd suggest that some people are over complicating this. What's happened is that:
  1. The government's initial response was ok, in the sense that it copied other countries and was reasonably science based.
  2. The problem is, the lockdown failed, at huge economic cost. If anyone thinks the curve flattened, they're not looking at the actual data. Reasons - lockdowns works in middle class areas, not low income areas, testing has been hugely stuffed up, the government self sabotaged with minibus taxis, etc, etc.
  3. The scientists have told the government this, and that infections are inevitably going to soar. Are soaring, actually.
  4. The government is now in a flat panic, with all sorts of people running round trying to micromanage details that don't matter, because they have no ability to change the big picture problem. And no one wants to admit the truth.
Great post.

The original 3 weeks should have been enough for Government to prepare the country for a potential medical tsunami of COVID 19 patients. South Africa used to have first class hospitals and Doctors until the ANC came along.
The Government didn't even need to wait until day 1 of lockdown, they should have been doing their job since the WHO told them "PANDEMIC" and starting to get the hospitals ready. Besides, it's not as if the wave of sick people will suddenly arrive at the end of week 3, 4 or 5 etc. Anyway the medical profession doesn't work like that, those professionals never look back to what's past, they can only deal with the now and the living, it's that simple.

Your point 2 about the Taxis. That must be the biggest stuff up of all the decisions taken by Government in my opinion, allowing that renegade industry to function. I am so scared for my own staff, while they make their way to our business in the morning mostly by bus, I take them home in the evening and I can see what's happening with these Taxis. I keep warning them, if you have to drive in a Taxi make sure the windows are open even if its cold and never touch anything (not even your balls basically) and then your face afterwards and when you arrive at work spray your hands etc.
This past 11 days since we reopened our business I have been driving our staff home along Gowan Mbeki Drive (née Lansdowne Road) and the Taxis are back to their usual dodging in-between traffic story, like nothing has changed. The windows of these Taxis are closed too. If there was any place my staff could catch this virus it would inside those taxis, they are a law unto themselves. Do these operators even adhere to some sanitising of their vehicles after every day's work, I doubt it and who is going to check them anyway.

Point 4. Agreed, after the Taxis restarted and people started bustling about in the Townships like normal, we lost all the gains we made in the previous 5 weeks.
My greatest fear is the imminent winter over the Cape Flats area and all that standing water and everyone huddled inside their huts, the many thousands that live in those shacks on low-lying swampland are potentially poised for a serious flu outbreak. I hope I'm very wrong, otherwise we are all going to suffer together with these people as the Government could lock the city down again and businesses and livelihoods will be doomed.

ponder

Honorary Master
Agreed, I don't think it is the same though. Even if a park is crowded for an hour or two, I figure that's less foot traffic over a 24 hour period. At least that's how I have tried to figure it out.
:ROFL: