What is the weirdest item you have found in food?

SaucePlz

For example, I am six foot and twelve inches.
Hopefully at least one of those measurements is accurate :p

I've found a cockroach baked into a bread, plastic in a pie, what felt like stone (but was probably bone) in sausage, a few hairs here and there. Nothing too hectic.

I was put off restaurants in general for a while after working in a few kitchens. What passed for cleanliness at some places was just crazy.

Suspect99

Executive Member
Bit into a burger at a restaurant and the patty still had the plastic wrap on the outside. No idea how they managed to cook it with plastic on it.

karnuffel

Expert Member
Worst I’ve had was I found a piece of copper in some kudu braaiwors. The most annoying part is I hunt with a bow so it must have been the butcher that messed up

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
worst was (not really me either) when we bought some Woolies chocolate muffins and my sister was so eager to munch down on hers, only to be caught off-guard by a rope (one of those you get to hang a soap from something. pretty beefy) that took up about half the muffin

funniest part was, after they took it out and nobody was in the mood anymore for muffins, I asked her if I could have it :D

I was hungry ok and besides, the worst part was already out :p

Norrad

Expert Member
In SA - A cockroach head in a potato bite from Checkers and a small lump of metal in an ostrich steak.
In the UK - Some string in the batter on some fish and chips.
In Indonesia - Chicken foot in a KFC bucket and plastic wrap in some sausages.

D4N_CPT

Most memorable two:
Fake Nail as one of the topics on my Panarottis Pizza.
Steak and Kidney Pie from the shop, so old it started growing, like a little oasis wrapped in dough.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Nothing nearly as weird as you Okes
But I do remember 30 years ago in 1991 in the army I was served up my meal and there was 1 mielie corn thing, only 1 and no one else had on their plates when I looked around. You couldn't miss it, it was the only yellow thing on my plate. And that had me wonder how old it was coz it had been ages since we had mielies served
I dont know why, but I always remember this
8,473 Corn Stalk White Background Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free  Images - iStock

dualmeister

Honorary Master
A plastic bristle in my burger. Probably from the brush they used to clean the grill.

A massive hard piece of hard plastic in my onion rings.

A spare rib bone under my chicken. Waiter said "Sorry the chef was cooking both on the same grill".

The occasional hair numerous times. And one was even curly :cautious:

Friend found part of a snail shell in her prepacked lettuce salad.

qscwbt

Expert Member
Did a social cycling event. Had a energy bar during the cycle. As I bit I tasted something hard and oily.
In the pink energy bar was a piece of rolled up packaging tape covered in white grease.

They said company had a factory in Silverton. Following week I logged a complaint and was asked to sent the energy bar. As I was working in Silverton I dropped it of and and had a chat to them regarding there oopsie.

Week later Stopped at the factory to follow up what I ate and they denied ever seeing me or having any issue with a product.

yes before phones could take photos.

Ecco

Executive Member
If you ever stayed at boarding school or in residence at university you might have found a lot of strange things.

I remember a friend finding a birds feather in his roll (round bread roll). One guy found a box staple in his meal (those big bronze ones), another found a piece of string. Worms were not uncommon in salads.

WAslayer

Executive Member
If you ever stayed at boarding school or in residence at university you might have found a lot of strange things.

I remember a friend finding a birds feather in his roll (round bread roll). One guy found a box staple in his meal (those big bronze ones), another found a piece of string. Worms were not uncommon in salads.
I was in boarding school and can honestly say, none of us found weird things in our food..

But, it was the weirdest thing: Tuesday was desert day and we would get it with lunch.. and boy oh boy, was there ever a rush for the toilet as soon as we were dismissed from the food hall.. run to your room to get your TP and run to the toilets to be first to use them..

EMAM

Honorary Master
Just last Sunday, my son and his girlfriend got iced mochas from McDonald's.
Found hundreds of these plastic pieces in them.
Mama flew into McDonald's and got a full refund and replacement.
It's still a mystery as to where it came from
f3f5bb08d58d967d1ca7d862ef1a0cf1.jpg