What Is The Worst Area of Johannesburg?

Ntobekoo

Let me share a brief history of myself:

I was born and raised in a rural area of KwaZulu-Natal. After I finished school I relocated to Durban and spent most of adult life living in South Beach(+/-6), Manor Gardens(+\-4), and Glenwood(+/-7) areas. In between I also stayed about year in Umbilo. Late last year I relocated to Johannesburg because of work.

What I first noticed when I moved to Johannesburg is that Johannesburg has more people than Durban. There are some beautiful areas of Johannesburg that I have visited like Emmarentia and I love Clearwater Mall it is my favorite mall, but the CBD is neglected when I compare it to Durban CBD especially when it to comes to cleanliness. Ethekwini Municipality does a good job in making sure the city is clean no disregard to Johannesburg Metro.

A couple of months ago I went to place called Mayfair with a group friends, fortunately I was not alone even though there was no threat or whatsoever, but this the most dodgy area I have seen in my life. I have been to Sydney Road in Durban there is significant number of homeless people there, but I have never seen so many homeless people on the streets like in Mayfair. You just feel so unsafe when you are there, even during the day, let alone at night.

I think Mayfair should be among the worst areas of Johannesburg. I was surprised to learn that prominent people like former state president FW de Clerk was born there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._de_Klerk#Early_life_and_Education

What is the worst area(s) of Johannesburg maybe I miss some places.

Last edited:

namzsteve

Expert Member
Rosettenville.

That whole area for me is just scary. Day or night, I avoid it with every fibre in me.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Most of Gauteng
Especially Roodepoort, Mogale City, Hillbrow, Rosettenvile, Robertsham, Crown Mines, Jan Hofmeyr,
Need I go on?....

Dear OP why did you move to 8Mile?

3WA

Executive Member
In seriousness though. I think parts of Alex would take the cake for where I feel most unsafe in Joburg. Although I generally feel more unsafe in Durban and parts of Mpumalanga/Limpopo (those little towns where the road is permanently blocked up by protesters come to mind).

I guess you feel unsafe in places you don't know well. I never thought of Mayfair as that bad.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Mate I'm from Durban, south of the Umbilo.
To paraphrase Gamora - Whatever nightmare places the future holds are but dreams compared to what's behind me

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Joburg CBD. All 1.1 sq km of it. Some parts are quite nice during the day (as long as you are male, not alone, not looking like a tourist, or carrying anything expensive), but all of it is off limits at night.

There is a Gautrain bus pickup across from ABSA Towers North in Marshalltown. 4 months ago they robbed a man waiting for the bus at gunpoint. While 12 other people were standing in line with him. This was with increased police due to the highway closures.
All staff has to be out of the office by 18:00 at the latest, and security has declared Carlton Center off limits to ABSA Employees.
A FNB staffer was hospitalised after three druggies robbed him while he was walking to the parking garage. Two grabbed his arms, while a third strangled him with a wire garotte.

I stopped counting the number of times I saw junkies shooting up next to Joe Slovo Drive.

Last edited:

3WA

Executive Member
Joburg CBD. All 1.1 sq km of it. Some parts are quite nice during the day (as long as you are male, not alone, not looking like a tourist, or carrying anything expensive), but all of it is off limits at night.

There is a Gautrain bus pickup across from ABSA Towers North in Marshalltown. 4 months ago they robbed a man waiting for the bus at gunpoint. While 12 other people were standing in line with him. This was with increased police due to the highway closures.
All staff has to be out of the office by 18:00 at the latest, and security has declared Carlton Center off limits to ABSA Employees.
A FNB staffer was hospitalised after three druggies robbed him while he was walking to the parking garage. Two grabbed his arms, while a third strangled him with a wire garotte.

I stopped counting the number of times I saw a junkie shooting up next to Joe Slovo Drive.
Why do the banks maintain offices there in these conditions? Why haven't they fully transferred to Rosebank/Sandton? Or is it still in the works?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Why do the banks maintain offices there in these conditions? Why haven't they fully transferred to Rosebank/Sandton? Or is it still in the works?
Yup really odd considering they do have offices all over, FNB has massive offices in Roodepoort/Randburg.

Neuk_

Expert Member
A theory I have is related to at least one of them having a cash processing/storage facility under one of it's building which is not such an easy move to make.

Matt91

Most of Gauteng
Especially Roodepoort, Mogale City, Hillbrow, Rosettenvile, Robertsham, Crown Mines, Jan Hofmeyr,
Need I go on?....

Dear OP why did you move to 8Mile?
I was born in Roodepoort it's not so bad there - definitely not the best area but nothing like Mayfair or
Rosettenville or Carltonville