What Is The Worst Area of Johannesburg?

Lupus

Honorary Master
I was born in Roodepoort it's not so bad there - definitely not the best area but nothing like Mayfair or
Rosettenville or Carltonville
There are parts of Roodepoort that are dodgy.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I was born in Roodepoort it's not so bad there - definitely not the best area but nothing like Mayfair or
Rosettenville or Carltonville
I was born there too... glad to be gone... The place makes me sick to my stomach...

Cius

Executive Member
There is a corner of Joburg, forget its name, where the old gold mines are where the police no longer even go there. Its fully controlled by gangs and zama zama's. Rape and murder all the time. However there are many corners of JHB that are dodge, CBD, Yoeville, Alex, Windsor west, Zandspruit, Diepsloot, etc.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You guys are aware Roodepoort is quite a large area? With quite a few suburbs in it right?
I was born in Durban but ended up in the south of Johannesburg when my folks moved when I was 2. Lived in Townsview till I was 6 than Oakdene till I was 10 than moved to live with my dad in Northriding.
Nowadays you can still mostly think of Linmeyer as being okay, Oakdene, Bassonia, Glenvista and maybe Eastcliff? But yeah the rest is all gone down hill.

Ntobekoo

There are parts of Roodepoort that are dodgy.
I think Rooderpoort is a good area when compared to some areas mentioned in this thread, but I cannot say much as I have only been in Flora Shopping Center and driven around Rooderpoort.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I think Rooderpoort is a good area when compared to some areas mentioned in this thread, but I cannot say much as I have only been in Flora Shopping Center and driven around Rooderpoort.
Flora shopping center isn't exactly great, my wife calls that place dodgy. Also if you've been to Clearwater mall you're still in Roodepoort.

Ntobekoo

DBN CBD CLEAN ??????
You must be joking.
When compared to JHB CBD, certainly no doubt about that. I know the whole of DBN CBD.
I have never seen heaps of garbage in DBN CBD like I see in JHB CBD.

The transport system is better though in JHB CBD. Unlike in DBN where more people are reliant in taxis, here the buses are effective.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Just wait until your place gets broken into.. repeatedly, while you are at home.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Yeah JHB Cbd is unbelievably bad, however, so is Soweto and each and every one township in this country, there is a common denominator but we aren't allowed to mention it.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Why do the banks maintain offices there in these conditions? Why haven't they fully transferred to Rosebank/Sandton? Or is it still in the works?
Political deals were struck in the early 1990s to "revitalise" the inner city. "Bou die Nasie" was a big theme. In the corporate world, the period from 1989 to 1995 was characterised by preparing the frogs for AA and BEE, Racism workshops and courses were mandatory for all white men, indoctrination of all white workers especially men was initiated and maintained. Large banks like FNB, Standard Bank and ABSA and companies like Anglo American all undertook to build massive buildings and encourage staff to relocate, FNB Bank City was one of these "inner city revival" projects. I remember Anglo American in Marshall street a few years later (2003-2005), spotless streets from the Magistrates'court to the AA building and at least two security guards every 60m. Yet two blocks away there were chop-shops, brothels, drug-dens and shebeens, some days even spotted policemen on court duty sneaking in for a quick drink. Thabo Mbeki & Trevor Manuel even arrived on a few occasions for meetings in the Anglo boardroom (at that stage AA contributed up to 15% of SA's GDP), this was just before he fired zuma's ass. So I am not sure how successful this strategy was, looking at these places today, they definitely made an impact in slowing down the decay, but clearly, judging from the outcome, it wasn't enough.

Last edited: