What is the worst tech company you have dealt with?

dualmeister

Honorary Master
VOX

Business enquiry: Took a FTTB order even though they could not supply it. They knew Vumatel does not install FTTB but said they "would make a plan". Order was eventually cancelled after 2 months.

Private enquiry: Took 1 week to get a quotation. Was told installation is free only for the month of July. Now in Aug they say install is only free until end August. Need to get story straight.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Vodacom.

I'm convinced they just bargain on you giving up eventually due to their inadequacy in addressing any issue.

Porlcynic

Afrihost
I've had a difficult time with every facet of their service bouquet.

Warrena0

Sorry you feel that way - I know you've mentioned in a few threads that you feel hard done by us.

I definitely take your feedback seriously. If there is ever an opportunity to change how you feel about us and win back your trust, I'd just like you to know I'd be very happy to do whatever I can.

All the best :)
Hmm. Doubt that - I also had a terrible experience with your company. And it was from quoting to installation to problem resolving and even cancellation - EVERY ITEM I dealt with was NOT done correctly. You still owe me for a modem that you collected over a year ago and have received no feedback! I'd rate your company worse than TELKOM to be honest!

Reactions: OCP

MEIOT

Expert Member
MWEB - Bunch of morons back in the day - not sure if anything's changed but I'm willing to bet it's the same ol' same ol'

Dimension Data a close second. Filled with imbeciles and all they're good for is churning out mediocre slaves.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hmm. Doubt that - I also had a terrible experience with your company. And it was from quoting to installation to problem resolving and even cancellation - EVERY ITEM I dealt with was NOT done correctly. You still owe me for a modem that you collected over a year ago and have received no feedback! I'd rate your company worse than TELKOM to be honest!
If we owe you, then we definitely need to pay up. Please PM me - let me make this right

jouda

Expert Member
The lady doing telephonic support for Hisense SA is definitely amongst the worst people Ive ever dealt with. The rep on the forum redeemed them to some extent, so the award must go to OpenWeb. Their service went from great to super crap very quickly, cancelling my account was a nightmare.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
AlwaysOn

Mostly no response to inquiries.

Last edited:

Carlysut

Definately Vodacom, from customer care to billing to upgrades it's a nightmare. I have many stories

Mausi

Telkom. The call centre is hopeless, mainly because nobody keeps them informed of problems, nd one waits for ever for a technician to come. Never again!

demonweare

I feel like Telkom is a bit too obvious so I will go with the next on my list; Afrihost. I have never had a good experience with an Afrihost product or service and no one at their contact center every know whats going on. Amateurs with money to spend on branding/image.

Reactions: OCP

sgb

What is the worst tech or telecoms company you have dealt with in South Africa? What did they do which made you dislike them?
I cannot say it is the worst, but it irked me totally.
I had just had an operation (hip replacement) and my old laptop computer finally crashed. As I needed one for work I phoned my friendly computer shop and bought a Lenovo which they were happy to deliver under the circumstances. I did however ask them if they could upgrade RAM from 4MB to 8MB which they did. It came with one HDD. About a year later I put in an SSD to increase speed. Immediately started giving problems. The computer shop checked, swopped disks around, etc, and eventually concluded there was a motherboard wiring error. A second drive would always pick up faults. When I contacted Lenovo about a warranty claim they were not interested as it turns out my computer shop was not a certified Lenovo repair centre so should not have upgraded to 8MB RAM. How on earth was I expected to know that, as they sold Lenovos and had a repair center? So now I have a faulty laptop, on which my second drive is useless.

HumanShield

Telkom.
4 months to cancel a DSL line with numerous charges for the month and reversals and double charges. A year later and still zero refund.

No mobile contracts so haven't really had to deal with any of the big three or Telkom Mobile. Prepaid FTW!