What is this blue double-arrow bs - Windows decides to compress half my computer??

airborne

Executive Member
I ran windows update last night and it needed to install a few updates, all good the updates install and I restart the pc, then I start noticing these blue double-arrows on folders and file icons everywhere. Turns out despite having 16GB free on the OS drive and 3GB free on the D drive I use for data storage Windows unilaterally decided to compress a whole swathe of my files randomly across the C and D drives.

Apparently Windows makes this decision when it want's to install an update and feels there is insufficient drive space.

Busy uncompressing the files, says 21hrs to uncompress them been at it for 6hrs so far with constant hdd chatter. It definitely didn't take that long to compress them in the first place, what a typical Windows c0ck up, bunch of imbeciles.

Has anyone else experienced this after an update?

Last edited:

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Cant the puts at MS do anything right?

If you are running W10 Pro you might want to defer feature updates by 365 days and only allow security updates.

airborne

Executive Member
Cant the puts at MS do anything right?

If you are running W10 Pro you might want to defer feature updates by 365 days and only allow security updates.
Can you defer them for that long?

These were cumulative updates, I'm not sure how large they were. Looking around Google this compression enabled after an update nonsense seems relatively common, saw posts as far back as 2015 complaining about it.

airborne

Executive Member
Ja. Has slowed down my computer to almost unusable
Now that I think about it this has been going on for quite some time without me noticing it, my backups are often a few gbs off and I couldn't work out why. Now this would explain it, some of the files were compressed on the computers internal hdd and uncompressed on the external hdd.

Fk me Microsoft are useless cnts, I've had this stupid situation happen countless times in various ways, Microsoft just deciding to do stuff, install programs, remove programs, reset file associations, forced updates.

It must be a nightmare for Admins that have to manage many computers for larger businesses, sht just randomly gets changed after updates and you have to be contstanly picking up the pieces.

airborne

Executive Member
They are introducing passwordless logins this year, you register your phone and they send the unlock code. The circle will then be complete and they can track the hell out of everyone, imagine what a data goldmine that will be, all users that enrol can be directly linked to a real person/identity. Wait till they make that mandatory, with a forced update :D :D

Big brother will be watching :(

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Annnnnnnnd people wonder why I refuse to install that shite!

Hellhound105

Expert Member
It must be a nightmare for Admins that have to manage many computers for larger businesses, sht just randomly gets changed after updates and you have to be contstanly picking up the pieces.
Jack of all trades here aka admin here. Yes, just last year they had that security update relating to CredSSP. Or when their feature update deleted files.

Or when you have MFA working for 6 months and after a PC gets their latest update Outlook keeps asking for Username and password.

Or when a laptop works fine(Dell Latitude) and as soon as it updates the LTE connection keeps asking for APN detail. You go into N&S centre but the details are there. Fix it only to break again when the laptop updates again.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Software don't support Linux, too poor/clever for Mac.
Try a Dual boot with Linux, and use Wine(a windows emulator), it could solve your problem. You can also Run Linux with a normal windows VM too

access

Executive Member
could be storage sense causing it.

settings > storage > change how we free up space automatically > storage sense off

airborne

Executive Member
could be storage sense causing it.

settings > storage > change how we free up space automatically > storage sense off
Ok that was on, switched that off.

Doesn't mention anywhere about part of that feature being file compression, I thought that was just clearing cache files and similar?

access

Executive Member
Ok that was on, switched that off.

Doesn't mention anywhere about part of that feature being file compression, I thought that was just clearing cache files and similar?
im not sure if it will help, worth a try.

is "compress contents to save disk space" selected in the folder/file properties > advanced?

airborne

Executive Member
im not sure if it will help, worth a try.

is "compress contents to save disk space" selected in the folder/file properties > advanced?
I had to go untick that on all the root folders of the affected files after it happened, documents folder, pics etc, that's the only fix possible that I could find, I was hoping for a system wide fix.

access

Executive Member
I had to go untick that on all the root folders of the affected files after it happened, documents folder, pics etc, that's the only fix possible that I could find, I was hoping for a system wide fix.
i had this problem a while ago but i cant remember what i did to fix it. this pc has been reinstalled once, it might be that..

theres a registry setting and a group policy setting(i think, it disabled compression on all drives) you could still try

SuperMario

They are introducing passwordless logins this year, you register your phone and they send the unlock code. The circle will then be complete and they can track the hell out of everyone, imagine what a data goldmine that will be, all users that enrol can be directly linked to a real person/identity. Wait till they make that mandatory, with a forced update :D:D

Big brother will be watching :(
Not sure why you are worried about this, Google has been doing this for years and already knows everything about you by tracking your smartphone and so on and so forth...