What is this blue double-arrow bs - Windows decides to compress half my computer??

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
They are introducing passwordless logins this year, you register your phone and they send the unlock code. The circle will then be complete and they can track the hell out of everyone, imagine what a data goldmine that will be, all users that enrol can be directly linked to a real person/identity. Wait till they make that mandatory, with a forced update :D:D

Big brother will be watching :(
Surely this will not be compulsory.

quovadis

Expert Member
I ran windows update last night and it needed to install a few updates, all good the updates install and I restart the pc, then I start noticing these blue double-arrows on folders and file icons everywhere. Turns out despite having 16GB free on the OS drive and 3GB free on the D drive I use for data storage Windows unilaterally decided to compress a whole swathe of my files randomly across the C and D drives.

Apparently Windows makes this decision when it want's to install an update and feels there is insufficient drive space.

Busy uncompressing the files, says 21hrs to uncompress them been at it for 6hrs so far with constant hdd chatter. It definitely didn't take that long to compress them in the first place, what a typical Windows c0ck up, bunch of imbeciles.

Has anyone else experienced this after an update?
See here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ions-1507-1511-1607-1703-1709-and-1803-for-up

airborne

Executive Member
i had this problem a while ago but i cant remember what i did to fix it. this pc has been reinstalled once, it might be that..

theres a registry setting and a group policy setting(i think, it disabled compression on all drives) you could still try
Apparently that still doesn't stop the automatic compression to facilitate installing updates. But I am going do that just in case it works.

Surely this will not be compulsory.
Surely..

airborne

Executive Member
Does anyone know a command to scan a whole drive and uncompress any files that have been previously compressed by the OS?

From info on this site https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/26340-compress-uncompress-files-folders-windows-10-a.html

I tried: compact /u "E:" /i /Q
E is my non-os storage drive and after running the above command I get:
"Setting the directory E:\ not to compress new files
1 files within 1 directories were uncompressed."

But going through the E drive there are still many nested folders that are compressed :(

airborne

Executive Member
Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
Finished uncompressing all my drives, I was hardly saving any space by having compressed files so not much benefit to it. I suppose if you let your drives get full its only that few extra gbs that windows needs to install an update that matters so compressed files it is, courtesy of our overbearing MS overlords.

airborne

Executive Member
@airborne. What a pain. Curious - was this the Home version?
No win 10 professional and even if you set up policies or regedit to block file compression when windows installs updates especially the big anniversary/feature updates Windows will ignore that and compress files if it sees fit, or just reset the policy to allow it.

It's worth checking your OS drive because mine was in compact OS mode, no clue when that got enabled but I uncompacted it, it was only saving 3gb on a 256gb drive.

My earlier post has a command to check the compact status of the os drive and you can uncompact if needed.