What is this? I see them popping up around JHB

kennedym

Hi guys

I am curious to know what this is, i usually see them by traffic lights, but that is not always true, what is it? :
20190712_152041_HDR.jpg

kennedym

Thanks guys.
Interesting stuff. I have seen one with cameras come to think of it.
Thanks for the links, will check it out, i had no idea what to call it so no clue what to search for.
Anyways, I hope it helps with the crime.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Thanks guys.
Interesting stuff. I have seen one with cameras come to think of it.
Thanks for the links, will check it out, i had no idea what to call it so no clue what to search for.
Anyways, I hope it helps with the crime.
Search vumacam.

Vumacam is working in conjuction with RA, security companies and even the police in some cases.

kennedym

@Venomous yeah i saw that. I just hope its not abused and is used for good.
@RandomDesign That's a point I had not considered, big brother, creepy.

I also wonder how efficient it will be with crime, it sounds like it will be used after the fact.

genetic

Honorary Master
@Venomous yeah i saw that. I just hope its not abused and is used for good.
@RandomDesign That's a point I had not considered, big brother.

I also wonder how efficient it will be with crime, it sounds like it will be used after the fact.
Abused how?

I'd much rather have my neighbourhood under constant surveillance, than worry about public privacy.

kennedym

@genetic
Well, i am not sure, but let's assume a bad case scenario, so looking at it pessimistically. As an example, imagine you have someone who is bought of by some criminal group working on the camera's, this person who was supposed to be perhaps monitoring an area to keep it safe is instead giving data such as what time you are consistently leaving the house to the criminal group. This is just a pessimistic example.

From an optimistic pov, I don't really mind it, if its trustingly being used.

It comes down to trust for me, this is my subjective opinions.

Colin62

Executive Member
Abused how?
Someone with access to the system can stalk anyone they feel like. If you’ve got a guy who has a beef with, and you he can track you down and see where you are anytime of the day or night, I don’t think that having good surveillance would be so important then.

daveza

Honorary Master
If there was one outside my house, I would be buying black spray paint.

eg2505

Honorary Master
do wonder if well get some clever guys, trying to sell the towers for scrap metal soon enough?

Cius

Executive Member
So we often on our community groups have people robbed who can get local camera data to get a license plate of a car that is doing the robberies. A system like this working properly would help police and security companies catch criminals wherever they run and that seems like a good idea overall. However, if they are compromised and get gang members into the back side of those camera's it could be a disaster.