What is with the Toyota Verso Gearbox Problems?

kopite1985

Friend of mine went off to America for quite a bit and left his Verso behind for me to keep running from time to time. He mumbled something about a dodgy gear box and having to replace it with a second-hand box. He also warned that pulling off in 1st especially on a hill the clutch misses the bite a bit but will set off quick enough.
Freakin annoying really!

So I was thinking, why not ask you lot what on earth is happening with the Verso and it's gearbox/transmission? It's got 200 000 km on the clock mind you, but just had a reconditioned box put in.

Sounds like an awful mess! :erm:

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Normal manual, or automated clutch jobbie? If the latter, that's your problem; a combination of Toyota making an absolute dog's breakfast of that gearbox, and people not being instructed properly as to how to drive them.

If the former... Versos suck. :p

Viva

Expert Member
Google search shows you are not the first one with Verso gearbox problems.

kopite1985

Normal manual, or automated clutch jobbie? If the latter, that's your problem; a combination of Toyota making an absolute dog's breakfast of that gearbox, and people not being instructed properly as to how to drive them.

If the former... Versos suck. :p

Definitely a manual. Such a terrible setup. I see from a Google search and chat with a mate is that they rolled out new boxes for the recalled, but they did not mount correctly and something to do with the clutch not fitting correctly after that.

Toyota apparently have spares that will fix the whole issue but you pay R60k for that little import. At that point, fire suite, grenade, insurance... :D