what is wrong with my ADSL? my ISP says everything is ok but it's not!!!

Moodi

I've bought this subscription for over a year now and worked wonderfully for the first 4-5 months, but then everything went down hill overnight

webpages are too slow, I should be getting 4MBits/s but I only get less than 0.7MBits/s
the only thing working fine is torrent, and when I open multi pages for example 4 youtube videos the speed accumulate and add up to 4MBits/s, what could be causing this? ISP says my line status are excellent, I've been having this problem for like 8 months now and it's been too long I feel im being scammed, I can't change ISP coz it's the only one providing ADSL, it's monopolized in here... I only want ADSL coz it's the best option for me coz I want as low latency as possible and ADSL provides just that. please help?

NorthPole

Have you tried another PC, have you tried another modem? Whats your speed/latency like in online games? Try download a file from a FTP server and see if it is fine via FTP...

Moodi

Have you tried another PC, have you tried another modem? Whats your speed/latency like in online games? Try download a file from a FTP server and see if it is fine via FTP...

Yes i have tried a fresh new bought laptop, same issue.
Me and my friend switched modems and nothing new, my modem performs perfectly at his place, and his modem doesn't change anything at my place, isp sent a tech he had his modem and nothing new...
How do I download from ftp file? Can u send me a link to try?

Online games used to work perfectly with latency range from 70 to 100ms. But now i get 13kms in world of warcraft raids and battle grounds...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Then the dslam at your exchange is most likely faulty

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I've bought this subscription for over a year now and worked wonderfully for the first 4-5 months, but then everything went down hill overnight

webpages are too slow, I should be getting 4MBits/s but I only get less than 0.7MBits/s
the only thing working fine is torrent, and when I open multi pages for example 4 youtube videos the speed accumulate and add up to 4MBits/s, what could be causing this? ISP says my line status are excellent, I've been having this problem for like 8 months now and it's been too long I feel im being scammed, I can't change ISP coz it's the only one providing ADSL, it's monopolized in here... I only want ADSL coz it's the best option for me coz I want as low latency as possible and ADSL provides just that. please help?

Please explain, are you in South Africa?

NorthPole

Try logon to the net with your friends details and vice versa... see if you still have the same issue

MickZA

Executive Member
Take your PC to your friends place, if you still have the same problems start checking all your program settings.

... if the problems vanish move in with your friend because it seems the monopoly ISP isn't interested in fixing the line to your current location.

NorthPole

Use your account login details. username and password there. and try his at your place, if that doesnt fix it, you know its not an account issue. its either a hardware (your side) or ISP side...

thehuman

Expert Member
Use your account login details. username and password there. and try his at your place, if that doesnt fix it, you know its not an account issue. its either a hardware (your side) or ISP side...
Some overseas isps does not allow you to different login details on thier routers . Try your pc at friends house . Also try plug your router into friends adsl line

NorthPole

Some overseas isps does not allow you to different login details on thier routers . Try your pc at friends house . Also try plug your router into friends adsl line

Fair enough, He said that a Modem switch has had no effect...