What is your plan if you had to be retrenched or out of income for a long time amidst Covid-19?

newjourno

Freelancers are probably the hardest hit right now. Many are with limited sources of income and in some cases, nothing at all. Some businesses also seem to be cutting wages to minimise their losses and if things do not get better anytime soon, a situation could arise whereby companies may have to start retrenching.

What would be your back-up plan if the worst had to happen? Many of us do have enough funds to live comfortably for a year or two but that is not really feasible for the long-term.

krycor

Honorary Master
1stly you shouldn’t be freelancing unless you charging >35% standard cost/hour and have at least 3months saves up.. else you taking risks.

For me.. I don’t have a backup. can’t even sell off assets as no one can buy. So yah.

Brawler

Executive Member
not many could have 'planned' for this
Not a dig at you but nobody plans for a pandemic. It's generally a good idea to have at least 3m to 6m salary in the bank.
I wonder how many people are driving around in fancy cars, sporting high fashion and iPhone Pro Max's (or whatever they're called) but have less than 3m salary saved. I'm guessing loads.
Two of my close friends earn good salaries are are already in serious kak not even one month in.
On the other hand in SA, the majority earn minimum wages and are already living month to month.