What is your sync software of choice

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
The titanic - cause I love when it shows, The titanic is syncing.

/I'll leave now.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
One thing it does lack is a throttle when local ie slow copy from one disk to the other(when you have other disk up happening simultaneously and don’t want to max out disk io).
Did you try the option --bwlimit

garyc

Expert Member
I hear good things about rSync but since we on Windows mostly and don't really want to install WSL or Cygwin.
WSL is easy to install off the Microsoft store. It may be worth it since rsync is extremely robust.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
One of the Daily Backups
With file synching for backup there's always a failure mode where your synch overwrites the synced copy with the bad data.

Do you have anything in place for creating actual recovery points?

Hemps

Honorary Master
With file synching for backup there's always a failure mode where your synch overwrites the synced copy with the bad data.

Do you have anything in place for creating actual recovery points?
We use TodoBackups for daily Incrementals, Freefilesync pulls daily from the live fileserver to the Clone, Synology replicated to a sister Synology offsite with snapshots, offsite rotational drives, OneDrive sync

RedViking

Nord of the South
I've been using Alwaysync (Paid) for many years doing my scheduled backups. Just set and forget. Nothing fancy, it just works.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
We use TodoBackups for daily Incrementals, Freefilesync pulls daily from the live fileserver to the Clone, Synology replicated to a sister Synology offsite with snapshots, offsite rotational drives, OneDrive sync
The Synologies have quite good built in backup and sync applications - you could probably use one of those instead of the free file sync.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Found some other sync software

Hemps

Honorary Master
After testing numerous sync programs and utilities, nothing beats FreeFileSync.
Robocopy command line a close second for Windows use but limited Volume Shadow copy.

Last edited:

Hemps

Honorary Master
+1 for FreeFileSync

Been testing versioning and Symlinks, this software is actually remarkable that its free.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
+1 for FreeFileSync

Been testing versioning and Symlinks, this software is actually remarkable that its free.

A few years ago we rolled our own pc backup with Free File Sync to FreeNAS protecting about +/-350 laptops and desktops. Script ran on each pc as a Windows Task at logon and with a couple of other potential triggers and the NAS took a daily ZFS Snapshot which was quite an efficient way of storing the history.

It worked quite well mostly and saved our bacon a couple of times when laptops were stolen and such. The problem was that it was difficult to monitor for backup failures or people that hadn't backed up for a while - we could have developed something probably but moved on to other solutions before we got around to it.

Hemps

Honorary Master
A few years ago we rolled our own pc backup with Free File Sync to FreeNAS protecting about +/-350 laptops and desktops. Script ran on each pc as a Windows Task at logon and with a couple of other potential triggers and the NAS took a daily ZFS Snapshot which was quite an efficient way of storing the history.

It worked quite well mostly and saved our bacon a couple of times when laptops were stolen and such. The problem was that it was difficult to monitor for backup failures or people that hadn't backed up for a while - we could have developed something probably but moved on to other solutions before we got around to it.
For monitoring backups I use heartbeat.sh script but I have no where near 350 laptops though.
Failure, success etc would all send a different ping which would show up on the dashboard.

What I like about FreeFileSync apart from being free is the comparison options, File time and size, File Content, File Size etc.
Also the fastest software we have used.