What ISPs have to say about Telkom shutting down ADSL

cobusv

i sincerely hope Telkom puts this money saved back into their network and expand fibre and LTE coverage.

Totempole

Expert Member
If I have to move away from VDSL, I have to get both Fibre and LTE, because Vumatel effectively gives you a static IP.

Not exactly a fan of being a sitting duck with the same public IP Address all the time either, but I guess I'll have to live with it when the time comes.

Deandbn

What ISPs have to say about Telkom shutting down ADSL

Telkom recently announced that it will migrate its copper-based voice and DSL customers to fibre and wireless services in the coming months.

In areas where there is fibre coverage, ADSL and VDSL subscribers will be migrated to capped and uncapped fibre packages.

I'm not sure what they mean by 'shutting down ADSL' as fibre is ADSL Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line?
I think they meant to say that they will change the physical carrier from copper to glass.

lordnokon

What about one's normal telephone number... Will that still be kept? Still being charge line rental and crap?

What about businesses? What about area's where neither fibre or LTE is available?

rodmur

Downtime on cool Ideas fibre =up to 5 times a day
Down time on ADSL in the last 5 years = 0
I am not the only one in our suburb

Enough said

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Downtime on cool Ideas fibre =up to 5 times a day
Down time on ADSL in the last 5 years = 0
I am not the only one in our suburb

Enough said

Who is your fibre provider?

You will find that is your issue rather than Cool Ideas. I have had Cool Ideas for a year (give or take) and only been down twice, once due to an issue on their network and once due to the Vumatel network going flaky in an upstream area.

rodmur

Who is your fibre provider?

You will find that is your issue rather than Cool Ideas. I have had Cool Ideas for a year (give or take) and only been down twice, once due to an issue on their network and once due to the Vumatel network going flaky in an upstream area.

Vumatel. I believe the problem is a faulty router but cool are not interested in solving the problem

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Vumatel. I believe the problem is a faulty router but cool are not interested in solving the problem

Ahhh, given that... you could isolate that and use another router... being Vumatel your router isn't needed to be all that smart as far as I'm aware

wrinklyo

"He added that it will make Telkom more competitive, especially if they reduce their IPC prices, lower their wholesale fibre line pricing, and accelerate their LTE rollout. " and improve their abyssmally sucky customer service. If Telkom just treated their customers like human beings it would help. And they have like one customer service person for every 2,789,430 irate customers. It's like trying to buy a burger at a funeral parlour - can be done, but someone has to die first....

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
If I have to move away from VDSL, I have to get both Fibre and LTE, because Vumatel effectively gives you a static IP.

Not exactly a fan of being a sitting duck with the same public IP Address all the time either, but I guess I'll have to live with it when the time comes.
What's the reasonign behind this? Not that I turn of fmy ONT or router, but during loadshedding, once the power came back on I always noticed I'm getting the same DHCP IP, no matter how long the outage.

Mampara

Hope we get faster speeds at competitive prices than what is currently.

PHeX

After decommissioning DSL what will happen to all that copper cables hanging on poles allover SOUTH AFRICA? :laugh: