What ISPs have to say about Telkom shutting down ADSL

Totempole

Expert Member
What's the reasonign behind this? Not that I turn of fmy ONT or router, but during loadshedding, once the power came back on I always noticed I'm getting the same DHCP IP, no matter how long the outage.

I'm really not sure what the reasoning behind it is. I also don't know if this is also an issue with other providers such as Octotel, Frogfoot etc.

Only thing I know for sure is with Openserve Fibre, you have the same dynamic IP range as you would have had with ADSL.

For a lot of people, a static IP is considered a premium feature rather than an issue, but for me personally, it's a huge burden.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I'm really not sure what the reasoning behind it is. I also don't know if this is also an issue with other providers such as Octotel, Frogfoot etc.

Only thing I know for sure is with Openserve Fibre, you have the same dynamic IP range as you would have had with ADSL.

For a lot of people, a static IP is considered a premium feature rather than an issue, but for me personally, it's a huge burden.

From a technical point of view a static ip address is no more or less secure than a dynamic ip address. You're stressing over nothing.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Some people posting here have not even read the article.

If anyone think that Openserve is just killing ADSL/VDSL in a few months you are a bit naive.

First of all why would they boot people off when there are no suitable replacements? Yeah they might only discontinue ADSL/VDSL in areas with Openserve fibre and suitable Telkom LTE coverage.

https://ssl-1.ipact.telkom-ipnet.co.za/pubcgi/internal/NBView.pl

Having a look at the public notice board they are switching areas on a weekly basis to the new MSAN units. Why would they spend all that money upgrading and deploying MSAN units just to kill ADSL/VDSL a few month later? It's not going to happen even with the falling numbers it's still a substantial revenue source for them.

WHat will happen to all the Telkom/Openserve Technicians? They don't even do Openserve Aerial/trenched fibre installations. Outsourced contractors do them.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Some people posting here have not even read the article.

If anyone think that Openserve is just killing ADSL/VDSL in a few months you are a bit naive.

First of all why would they boot people off when there are no suitable replacements? Yeah they might only discontinue ADSL/VDSL in areas with Openserve fibre and suitable Telkom LTE coverage.

https://ssl-1.ipact.telkom-ipnet.co.za/pubcgi/internal/NBView.pl

Having a look at the public notice board they are switching areas on a weekly basis to the new MSAN units. Why would they spend all that money upgrading and deploying MSAN units just to kill ADSL/VDSL a few month later? It's not going to happen even with the falling numbers it's still a substantial revenue source for them.

WHat will happen to all the Telkom/Openserve Technicians? They don't even do Openserve Aerial/trenched fibre installations. Outsourced contractors do them.
This migration is one stage of Telkom’s plan to shut down its copper network entirely in the next five years, a strategy which was previously confirmed by Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko.
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broa...-adsl-here-is-what-it-will-offer-instead.html
That's quite a bit of time, they are just trying to make people aware that if they e.g. roll out fiber in an area, they will decommission the copper.

cavedog

Honorary Master
That's quite a bit of time, they are just trying to make people aware that if they e.g. roll out fiber in an area, they will decommission the copper.

Honestly I think it would be closer to 10 years and small towns won't have vdsl or adsl discontinued at all. Telkom will not willingly stop a service to which there is no alternative on their own network. It's just not going to happen.

They spend so much money on the msan upgrades and change over.

They just want more uptake on fibre and lte where they have coverage.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Honestly I think it would be closer to 10 years and small towns won't have vdsl or adsl discontinued at all. Telkom will not willingly stop a service to which there is no alternative on their own network. It's just not going to happen.

They spend so much money on the msan upgrades and change over.

They just want more uptake on fibre and lte where they have coverage.
I am very sure they'll move those towns to LTE-A (or whatever the standard will be then), as they'll need to cover it for their mobile division anyways, it will just take time. By small town I assume <5000 people. Though as you said, the time frame is the question there, if there are problems with the copper lines, they'll accelerate that roll-out, if no problems, they'll just leave as is probably.

Totempole

Expert Member
From a technical point of view a static ip address is no more or less secure than a dynamic ip address. You're stressing over nothing.

It's not really about security. It's about having different IP addresses. Websites can't keep track that way. This is especially useful when there are giveaways where it's limited per IP, and also if you get IP banned. :cool:

VPNs are pointless, because most sites can either pick them up, or someone else has already used that IP. The unnecessary added latency when it comes to realtime services is not your friend either.

Google's annoying targeted ads are also unescapeable if you don't have a dynamic IP.

Ask yourself this though... Is there really any good reason for the average home user to have a static IP?

Rayvan

Can any of the Isps come to the party and put fibre in durban Phoenix area asap bècause telkom are sleeping and we need it badly.

Rayvan

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Can any of the Isps come to the partyand put fibre in durban Phoenix area as we need it badly and telkom seem to be sleeping

Vumatel stops rolling out fibre in KwaZulu-Natal
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibr...olling-out-fibre-in-kwazulu-natal-report.html
“Due to incidents of intimidation and threats made by various groups in KwaZulu-Natal, it is not safe or practical for the contractors to continue working in the field at the moment.”