What it's like to be trapped in a UK quarantine hotel

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

Earlier this year, I decided to leave South Africa to live in the United Kingdom, in London.

Flying to the United Kingdom from South Africa is particularly frustrating at this point, as despite its relatively low daily COVID-19 cases, South Africa has been placed on the UK's "red list" of countries due to the "South African variant" prevalent amongst its infected.

Not only does this make the paperwork of emigration more difficult, it also frustrates the process of booking a flight and making arrangements for when you arrive.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
He's lucky, he's in one of the better hotels

My food was ****. My dietary requests were ignored. I ended up getting takeaways delivered some days because what arrived outside my door was inedible.
I had no cleaning equipment, not even a toilet brush.
I was limited to 7 items of laundry for the 10 days. Ended up ordering washing powder online and doing laundry in the bathroom sink.
There was nowhere near enough space. My suitcases took up the couch space. There was nowhere else to put them.

Wifi on the other hand was great.

I was one of the first prisoners at this particular hotel. It was a complete balls up. Their info pack even said I was not allowed to leave the room for any reason, even exercise or a cigarette.

However I can now add changing a super king sized duvet cover on my own to my list of life achievements.

In summary, 37 grand paid for a really ****ing unpleasant experience.

Leno

Expert Member
I think I stayed in that hotel on my way back from the UK last year :)

I am delaying my return as much as possible hoping the quarantine will be stopped.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I think I stayed in that hotel on my way back from the UK last year :)

I am delaying my return as much as possible hoping the quarantine will be stopped.
Holiday Inn, Bath Road?

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I know a couple that left for the Isle of Man. So first they had to do the 10 days quarantine in the UK and then 14 days quarantine once in the Isle of Man! So 24 days and with two small kids.

The things one has to do for a better life :thumbsup:

konfab

Honorary Master

My food was ****. My dietary requests were ignored. I ended up getting takeaways delivered some days because what arrived outside my door was inedible.
I was limited to 7 items of laundry for the 10 days. Ended up ordering washing powder online and doing laundry in the bathroom sink.
There was nowhere near enough space. My suitcases took up the couch space. There was nowhere else to put them.

I was one of the first prisoners at this particular hotel. It was a complete balls up. Their info pack even said I was not allowed to leave the room for any reason, even exercise or a cigarette.

However I can now add changing a super king sized duvet cover on my own to my list of life achievements.

Did the hotel manager look anything like this by any chance?

Basil_Fawlty.jpg

maumau

Honorary Master

Earlier this year, I decided to leave South Africa to live in the United Kingdom, in London.

Flying to the United Kingdom from South Africa is particularly frustrating at this point, as despite its relatively low daily COVID-19 cases, South Africa has been placed on the UK's "red list" of countries due to the "South African variant" prevalent amongst its infected.

Not only does this make the paperwork of emigration more difficult, it also frustrates the process of booking a flight and making arrangements for when you arrive.

Dismal.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member

Hanno, did you immigrate?

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master

I actually thought that article was about you! Seems its a luck of the draw thing on how good your hotel is.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Dang, I lived for 3 months at a much nicer, hotel, way bigger room, swimming pool, etc, in Thailand for much less than R37k (I know cost of living Thailand vs UK absolutely cannot compare), but still 37k for a week in a dump vs ±R10k per month, good gosh sounds more like a scam.

Pre-covid times of course. lol.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I actually thought that article was about you! Seems its a luck of the draw thing on how good your hotel is.
Very much so.

I was originally booked in a novotel which was much better. They switched me to the holiday Inn because of overbooking the day I flew. I was fkn grumpy.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Dang, I lived for 3 months at a much nicer, hotel, way bigger room, swimming pool, etc, in Thailand for much less than R37k (I know cost of living Thailand vs UK absolutely cannot compare), but still 37k for a week in a dump vs ±R10k per month, good gosh sounds more like a scam.

Pre-covid times of course. lol.
Yes indeed.

With Mauritius off the red list, if SA is still on the list when my wife's visa comes through, she's going for a two week holiday there, then flying straight in. Guaranteed to be cheaper! And a whole lot more pleasant.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Must be grim. I did uk hotels during covid times but wasn’t officially quarantined so could hit the super markets

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Surely it's easier just to go on holiday to a country that is not on the red list for 10 days and then fly to the UK without having to go into quarantine?