What laptop to buy for University

JaredRowan

I am will be studying Law next year and I am not sure what laptop I should buy. I would be using it for my daily university needs as well as a bit of gaming in my free time.

If i bought a regular laptop my budget would be around R6500.

If I bought a gaming laptop i would sell my current desktop, which would increase my budget to around R13000.

Please help.

Daruk

Honorary Master

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Rather just use a cheapish device for uni as battery life is important. Most gaming machines don't have a great battery life.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If it was me, I'd by an i5, with 8GB RAM, laptop. If one can get a SSD in there, even better (or just do the upgrade later).

redspark

I would go for a preowned MacBook. For robustness (my current MB is from 2011 and is still going) and performance (honestly, MacOS is fairly superior to Windows).

#flame-shield-on

Daruk

Honorary Master
I would go for a preowned MacBook. For robustness (my current MB is from 2011 and is still going) and performance (honestly, MacOS is fairly superior to Windows).

#flame-shield-on
No lol. Robustness? Good luck getting service when it gives you trouble.

newby_investor

Expert Member

#flame-shield-on
Not a bad idea. Depending on what software you need, but for law, it'll probably just be office and a browser.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Robustness = They don't have trouble to begin with.

And if they do there are loads of options outside of the Core **** show...also for reasonable pricing at that.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

#flame-shield-on
You're joking, right? The 2011/2012 ones were okay, the new ones break if you look at it wrong. Lots of laptops from that time period and now are more robust at cheaper prices.
This.

redspark

Yes, robustness. I would the say same about iPhones.

Anyway, my yardstick is Win laptops at work. Dell laptops, nogal. The closest thing I have come across to robust Win laptops is the IBM Thinkpads. I haven’t tried the Lenovo variant.

Another positive for me was that Thinkpads could run Linux without many issues.

newby_investor

Expert Member
See my comment on iPad above for this very reason.

Add the keyboard and you are golden with all day battery life as well.
Will need to budget extra for the keyboard though, last time I checked the price of those is not negligible.

aleksandar

Lenovo T470 (i5 with 8GB and at least 128SSD) will be in your price range.
They have 3 year warranty, are robust and have good battery life.
Just to add they can be easily upgraded.

So far my kids are very happy with them and one takes it every day to school.

newby_investor

Expert Member
The issue that I have with laptops in that price range is the crummy, horrible, awful 1366x768 screens that they invariably have. IMO the rest is neither here nor there really, if you're doing office productivity kind of work then the only things you should really look at are a good screen and keyboard. Maybe RAM, 8GB upgradeable is worth paying for. Computers are fast enough otherwise.

A used MacBook would solve that problem but may not be too everyone's taste.

JaredRowan

The issue that I have with laptops in that price range is the crummy, horrible, awful 1366x768 screens that they invariably have. IMO the rest is neither here nor there really, if you're doing office productivity kind of work then the only things you should really look at are a good screen and keyboard. Maybe RAM, 8GB upgradeable is worth paying for. Computers are fast enough otherwise.

A used MacBook would solve that problem but may not be too everyone's taste.
I've tried using a Mac before, but I didn't like the feel of it. I prefer a windows machine.