What Legal IPTV service is best? [No Illegal Services Allowed]

Christo4

Not everybody is interested in a scheduled recording.
For IPTV - no app so far as I know. VLC for PC can record but not sceduled.

Naks

Expert Member
Thanks Christo

I think the local resellers are missing a huge opportunity here, by not seeing the bigger picture: most people who want to ditch DSTV can't/won't do so because 1. Sports, and 2. Convenience.

OK, so IPTV streams have the sports channels, but the convenience is, well, what convenience? Most people want a simple system that their kids, wives, etc., can use as easily as a DSTV decoder.

OK, building a proper PVR system is a huge task, so let's forget about that. But you can still make it convenient and easy for users by using the tools at your disposal - cheap cloud storage and software to create VOD/replays for all major sports.

I guarantee you that if the rugby/football/cricket/F1/MotoGP was available as a replay so that you didn't have to worry about getting home on time for the kick-off, loads more people would buy your service.

Let's face it, I'm not getting up at 3am to watch the Australian FP1: I set my decoder to record it, and watch it at my convenience.

And that's the point that the local IPTV resellers are missing: their offering needs to be convenient. Otherwise their target market will remain the MYBB crowd, and that's no way to make money.

Christo4

I have this app and will test it. Most of the sport that I miss I watch later on the same channels.
Reruns. Rugby, F1, Motogp, tennis, motor rally, etc.
Currie Cup not always available.
I also have dstv now from a friend but almost never use it. It cannot compete against a proper IPTV channel wise.
But as you said, lots of improvements before it can compete as a package against big brother.
I like the underdog☺

Naks

Expert Member
Yes, I'm also keen to support the underdog.

But I'm not risking having an unhappy wife

Having said that, I'm paying R1k a month for DSTV, only to be able to watch F1 from March to Nov, and occasionally football and cricket. All my TV and movies I get from Netflix, etc.

Streams is R200pm, but I'd be willing to pay them R800pm if they would guarantee me VOD for all the F1 races.

But you saw their answer in my previous post...

Christo4

Yes the wify. They command and receive. I put the app on her phone and she opens the app, decides whats to her liking, press and with the help of chromcast she is sorted and I can watch my F1. Only problem is when there is something wrong on her side the poor sidekick cannot watch his race. Thats where I need the explora.
We will get there, but when.

Vernon

Expert Member
I received a test link last night, on a 20mb fibre line vlc could play some hd stuff but with serious buffer. Put the link into Plex and same issue. Then opened plex on tv and it found the channels but none played. Guess ill stick to DSTV now. bummer
I had buffering issues as well with that service in the past on a 20meg line. I'm currently on 50 via Vumatel/Cool Ideas, and I decided to give StreamIPTV another chance. Now it's working like a dream. Except for the odd occasion when the picture freezes, and then I have to restart the stream again. It only does that on the Mi Box, though. So far no issues on the Shield.

Christo4

Streaming on 4 - 10 mb telkom adsl. I stick to sd and sometimes hd. No buffering.
I will first look at my setup if I have any buffering - vpn and isp issues.

Christo4

I gave Iptv Extreme scheduled recording a try and was pleasantly surprised.
You do not need the pro version. I used v89 free for the test.
In settings I gave the start and end time 10min leeway.
Press 3 dots top right and down to timers. From there it is self explanatory.
More than one recording should be possible. One at a time.
To play the recording, go back to timers as above and if its green, press and it should play.

Naks

Expert Member
I gave Iptv Extreme scheduled recording a try and was pleasantly surprised.
You do not need the pro version. I used v89 free for the test.
In settings I gave the start and end time 10min leeway.
Press 3 dots top right and down to timers. From there it is self explanatory.
More than one recording should be possible. One at a time.
To play the recording, go back to timers as above and if its green, press and it should play.

thanks Christo, what box are you running this on? Could you record one channel while watching another?

Ideally I want to get rid of any kind of decoder, and play everything directly from my TV - this makes it easier for the Mrs to operate.

but I guess I will have to get an Android box...

Daruk

Honorary Master
thanks Christo, what box are you running this on? Could you record one channel while watching another?

Ideally I want to get rid of any kind of decoder, and play everything directly from my TV - this makes it easier for the Mrs to operate.

If your missus is anything like mine she won't like the media box. I get it, it's always got to be fiddled with and isn't instant like DSTV.

Naks

Expert Member
If your missus is anything like mine she won't like the media box. I get it, it's always got to be fiddled with and isn't instant like DSTV.

how about an Nvidia Shield? Would I be able to use the IPTV extreme app on it?

Christo4

No box. Only cell phone, app and chromecast.
Boxes and the google certified apps is to complicated for me.
Must be simple for everybody to use via their phone.

Christo4

how about an Nvidia Shield? Would I be able to use the IPTV extreme app on it?
I cannot see why not. It is andriod and if I had the extra cash, the Nvidia Shield is what I shall go for. The app is available on the playstore - free and pro R14. 99 version 92.

Christo4

Yes those that must be obeyed. But we like it that way..????

Christo4

Could you record one channel while watching another?

I cannot test that. Need a faster adsl line and maybe more ram on phone. But this only guessing.
I need a Nvidia Shield.