What Legal IPTV service is best? [No Illegal Services Allowed]

Christo4

All the school fees going to waste.
I have done and dusted it, but the devil returns eventually. You will never be 100% buffer free.
My words were "not user friendly".

enerdude

Expert Member
All the school fees going to waste.
I have done and dusted it, but the devil returns eventually. You will never be 100% buffer free.
My words were "not user friendly".
I am 99% buffer free, that is enough for me and saving me a lot of money not having to pay for dstv. That said you need a proper internet connection (I would recommend 20mbps min), a decent iptv provider and the right tools like a shadowsocks proxy if needed. In my case I have the first 2 and it works for me at the moment.

If I remember correctly you were on a slow adsl connection that is not too stable so you should not expect much.

Jbn222

I am 99% buffer free, that is enough for me and saving me a lot of money not having to pay for dstv. That said you need a proper internet connection (I would recommend 20mbps min), a decent iptv provider and the right tools like a shadowsocks proxy if needed. In my case I have the first 2 and it works for me at the moment.

If I remember correctly you were on a slow adsl connection that is not too stable so you should not expect much.
Now running 2 x TV boxes on a 20/2 connection. As previously reported added proxy last night. Cannot describe the improvement of zero buffering. Still "touching wood" or has the ISP finally come to the party?

enerdude

Expert Member
Now running 2 x TV boxes on a 20/2 connection. As previously reported added proxy last night. Cannot describe the improvement of zero buffering. Still "touching wood" or has the ISP finally come to the party?
I almost guarantee you it will work now as I had the same issues in the past. I was never throttled until some day and then I installed the shadowsocks proxy. Used it for a while and disabled it one day to see if it is still needed, and it wasn't. I am on 50/5 vumatel/vox so not sure if that makes a difference, was also on 20/2 before.

I recommend 20mbps as minimum as other members of the household may be using your connection while streaming tv but if you dedicate the bandwidth to 2 tv boxes without doing much else it will work fine.

If you get buffering again while using the shadowsocks proxy, reboot your router and see if it solves it.
As you can see on ghostproxy.co.za it will tell you that a normal vpn can still be packet inspected but not a shadowsocks proxy as it has an additional layer of encryption not present with a normal vpn.

Jbn222

I almost guarantee you it will work now as I had the same issues in the past. I was never throttled until some day and then I installed the shadowsocks proxy. Used it for a while and disabled it one day to see if it is still needed, and it wasn't. I am on 50/5 vumatel/vox so not sure if that makes a difference, was also on 20/2 before.

I recommend 20mbps as minimum as other members of the household may be using your connection while streaming tv but if you dedicate the bandwidth to 2 tv boxes without doing much else it will work fine.

If you get buffering again while using the shadowsocks proxy, reboot your router and see if it solves it.
As you can see on ghostproxy.co.za it will tell you that a normal vpn can still be packet inspected but not a shadowsocks proxy as it has an additional layer of encryption not present with a normal vpn.
My router is already asking why it has not been rebooted since yesterday.

enerdude

Expert Member
My router is already asking why it has not been rebooted since yesterday.
Nice thing about the shadowsocks proxy is you can set it per app meaning only a certain app would use the proxy. If one are for instance using the showmax app on the box you don't want the traffic to be re-routed overseas and then come back as it will potentially cause buffering. So yes the setup is very flexible.

Christo4

If I remember correctly you were on a slow adsl connection that is not too stable so you should not expect much.]
"Were". Past tense.
I have tasted 50 fps.
Lets move on and pray for a buffer free F1 for all of you.

Last edited:

enerdude

Expert Member
@Christo4 think you got the quote wrong above and typed your reply inside my quote.
Yes well, most will have to pray for buffer free but those with a shadowsocks proxy are more guaranteed of a buffer free experience provided their iptv provider can deliver.

enerdude

Expert Member
Been sitting on a Hydro hosting proxy for over a year. Installed it yesterday using shadowshock. 100% improvement in buffering. Touch wood this is the answer. Will test tomorrow watching F1.
How was your streaming experience of the F1?

On hydro one had choice of 9 streams:

sky sports main event FHD, HD, SD
sky sports F1 FHD, HD, SD
TSN 1 HD, TSN 4 HD and TSN 5 HD

I tried switching between them during the race and only ever experienced buffering on sky sports F1 HD stream.

Jbn222

I tried switching between them during the race and only ever experienced buffering on sky sports F1 HD stream.
Had about the same results. Little bit of buffering not worth mentioning.

Christo4

Watched Bigmedia F1 Zone - helmet cameras etc and then the normal Sky.
The RSAweb MTN LTE handled it well. Here and there an oopsie. Mostly very boring race except last few minutes.

Veroland

Executive Member

I was watching on Sky Sports F1 FHD and no buffering. When I watched the SBK on Super 5 I had 2 or 3 times of about 1/2 sec buffering.

No VPN or shadowsocks, just my 100/100 line

enerdude

Expert Member
I was watching on Sky Sports F1 FHD and no buffering. When I watched the SBK on Super 5 I had 2 or 3 times of about 1/2 sec buffering.

No VPN or shadowsocks, just my 100/100 line
Same here, sometimes a higher quality stream has no buffering so it a question of trying all the streams. For some reason the sky sports HD had some buffering when I switched to it but FHD never had. I am on 50/5 and as I stated before long ago I had throttling, these days I don't use the shadowsocks proxy anymore, other people's mileage may vary.

Dreamcatcher12

One of the reasons for some buffering might also be because of a specific streams having to many people on it and the server isnt balancing. So that's why a FHD might work bettwe because less people are on and the balancing from server and provider is better

enerdude

Expert Member
One of the reasons for some buffering might also be because of a specific streams having to many people on it and the server isnt balancing. So that's why a FHD might work bettwe because less people are on and the balancing from server and provider is better
That is logical, even dstv had issues with the rugby world cup. Like I said before any infrastructure has an upper limit. So yes it can be capacity related or simply the iptv provider that has issues with that particular stream at the time, sometimes a particular stream gives me issues and when reported to my provider they confirm that they have technical issues with that specific channel.

Dreamcatcher12

That is logical, even dstv had issues with the rugby world cup. Like I said before any infrastructure has an upper limit. So yes it can be capacity related or simply the iptv provider that has issues with that particular stream at the time, sometimes a particular stream gives me issues and when reported to my provider they confirm that they have technical issues with that specific channel.
Most times my provider sends out updates on Telegram for server issues (prob has like 1 in the last 2 years) but when I report a stream they generally replace it with another

enerdude

Expert Member
Well yes with my provider I usually have multiple options for a specific channel / event so I rarely had a situation where I could not watch at all and buffer free.

Naks

Expert Member

"Illegal football and subscription streaming services have been shut down by a watchdog.

The nationwide piracy crackdown was launched after many people turned to watching TV for entertainment during the coronavirus lockdown, Chronicle Live reports.

Kodi and IPTV boxes, which come 'loaded' with subscription services such as Netflix and Sky Sports, are available on the black market for as little as a one-off fee of £50.

Following an investigation, launched by Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), 17 different illegal services are believed to have been shut down. ..."