What Netflix will get for its R1-million FPB licence fee

Will have to are not the words I'd use, this is the correct version:

FPB wants Netflix to pay over R1 million a year if the draft review of its tariff regulations is passed.

Unless Netflix has agreed to pay the heading is very misleading...

Wahahah that is too funny.. the FPB thinks Netflix will bow down to their BS?

Unless Netflix has agreed to pay the heading is very misleading...

I have no issue with the "What Netflix will get for its R1-million FPB licence fee"

I don't agree with the "will have to" part, that means it's written in stone they have no choice they have to do it no matter what, which simply isn't true.

Try again when Netflix has bank accounts and offices in the country.

In the meanwhile, don’t bother about i FPB !

Am I not reading correctly? What do they get for their 1mil contribution?

Article doesn't really mention what they get for the money???? Just get rid of the FPB and rely on other countries' rating boards. Can't see any reason why South Africa needs to do the same job everyone else already does.

lol.

Hey netflix, go private vpn and release entire catalogue, ,we'll support 100%.

Imagine YouTube starts a subscription add free service. It's still media,so then the FPB can categorize and rate all the videos on YouTube and charge such a big licence fee that the whole world would not have enough money for that.

In other words, no-one in the entire chain outside of the FPB gains any value from the payment.

The only thing this will do, is increase pricing, which in turn would increase piracy again - albeit only slightly.

The long and the short of this story is that Netflix will have no other option but to pay the FPB whatever it is they are asking. Netflix will pay them as long as they will make a profit from making content available in SA.

If Netflix refuse, the only thing they will need to do is to close down and remove any servers they used locally, remove advertising for South Africa from their site and that is that. Users should still be able to connect to offshore servers to stream content and pay Netflix there, then the FPB would have no say over them.

Or, like mentioned above, they will just factor the FPB fees into current member subscriptions and increase their pricing.

If Netflix refuse, the only thing they will need to do is to close down and remove any servers they used locally

Close down what ? Netflix has no offices, entity, bank accounts or physical presence in SA.

They bill you in USD, not even in rands.

Back