What paid streaming services are you currently using?

Hemps

Executive Member
Problem is you don't get these channels unless you use to US/UK fiddling thing or get DSTV.

Discovery, Animal Planet, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, Science, History, Food, Travel channel, Motor Trend etc

Kids love these channels second to the kiddies channels of course so Netflix/Showmax supply kiddies demand for kids shows.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I know there are many free streaming services out there but quality is an issue and they often just vanish.

So looking at paid service, I trialed iptv many times but live TV sucks with way too many ads and buffering On demand is so much better, what service do you guys recommend that most people might not know about?

My subs:

Netflix:

Quality is good.
Navigation not so nice, hard ti find stuff.
In SA

Hulu with live TV using smartdns:

Quality is good.
A little buffering on the start.
Lots of on demand shows like documentaries etc.
Need dns service.

CuriosityStream

Buffering often so cancelled.

Showmax:

Quality is decent.
Not many documentaries though.
Free with my fathers DSTV account.

Service's I don't pay for, use app on ATV4 and smartdns

https://7plus.com.au/
https://tenplay.com.au/
BBC iPlayer
TVNz

So anyone recommend others we can get easily enough with gift cards and dns service?
Also what issues have you had with these services?
The UK one's seem very expensive when paying in pounds.

Fubo.tv
Youtube.tv
AT&T watch
Philo
Directv Now
SlingTV
Playstation Vue
Amazon Prime
If it’s documentaries you are after, look at All4 from Channel 4 in the UK. It has a massive back catalogue and of full of original content. To me it is the best tv channel in the UK by a long shot and of course is free and accessible with your smartdns set up.

Otherwise, I subscribe to Netflix as a paid service, but at home we generally watch the free UK channels All4, BBC iPlayer, ITV hub and the channel 5 catch up My5 ( also lots of documentaries of a more earthy nature)

Hemps

Executive Member
On fubu.tv trial, service will not work with smartdns, only works over VPN.
Interface sucks actually.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Netflix, Showmax and Deezer.

Amazon Prime does not have an Android TV app, so not interested.

Hemps

Executive Member
Oddly enough fubu.tv started working using dns and lo and behold quality was pretty good.
The interface sucks though but once you find your way around it's OK, it's definitely geared towards sports in America though.

SlingTV, works with DNS service, any channel or on Demand starts a second after you click the Play button, the fastest play time I have ever seen apart from Youtube.
BUT quality is SD for some reason on anything I tried to play.

Over the weekend will fiddle some more.

fbman

Netflix and amazon Video.

I had Showmax, but never nenewed when my voucher ran out, as I never really watched it.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I think mine are pretty much mentioned :

Netflix (and the VPN)
Amazon Prime
CuriosityStream
Spotify
Tidal

I used Hulu and Showmax previously - but Hulu is a pain to pay and Showmax didn't interest me.

Like the OP, I also have had issues with CuriosityStream (UHD though). I've told me them over numerous times - but they insist it's the users fault.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm surprised how few people sub to Hulu at $8 p/m, guessing its the payment that tricky being in SA.
Their on demand networks catalog seems large, Discovery, Animal Planet, Nat Geo, Science, History, Food, Travel channel etc
I'm surprised that Hulu haven't considered expanding, as their competition is doing pretty well!

steco777

I use Netflix US, Hulu , showtime , starz , Pluto.tv , hbo now , youtube TV for Fox and sports, Sling Tv for cricket only subs , espn plus for rugby , crackle , bbc iplayer , all 4 , tvplayer , prime video US , rugby pass for all other rugby matches that aren’t on espn +.My subscription for all channels work out higher than DStv but at least I get to choose what I want to watch .

Quintus26

I use Netflix US, Hulu , showtime , starz , Pluto.tv , hbo now , youtube TV for Fox and sports, Sling Tv for cricket only subs , espn plus for rugby , crackle , bbc iplayer , all 4 , tvplayer , prime video US , rugby pass for all other rugby matches that aren’t on espn +.My subscription for all channels work out higher than DStv but at least I get to choose what I want to watch .
What VPN do you use? I've got Nord and itching to be added to someone's Google family group so I can get YouTube TV.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Don't they force you to only pay with Bitcoin or something? Never liked it. Wife used it for a bit but I never felt comfortable with it.

Anyway:

Netflix (wife pays)
Amazon Prime
Google Music
You can use Paypal if you mail support.

Hemps

Executive Member
So have been testing for a few weeks now and Hulu comes out top for Live TV + On Demand, almost always works and quality is decent.
2nd would be Directv and the numerous Apple TV apps like NatGeo, Discovery, MotorTrend, History, A&E, Animal Planet - they all work well with Directv details,s o much stuff the choose Live and On Demand.

Fubu and Sling have issues with the stream and just take forever to start.

Quintus26

So have been testing for a few weeks now and Hulu comes out top for Live TV + On Demand, almost always works and quality is decent.
2nd would be Directv and the numerous Apple TV apps like NatGeo, Discovery, MotorTrend, History, A&E, Animal Planet - they all work well with Directv details,s o much stuff the choose Live and On Demand.

Fubu and Sling have issues with the stream and just take forever to start.
Yes I have dabbled with Directv now and have been most impressed with how it can integrate with other apps on Fire TV. The 'Go Big' package is pretty good.

Hemps

Executive Member
Today Hulu announced that they are cutting the price of their limited-commercial plans from $7.99 to $5.99 a month. This change will happen on February 26, 2019, at which time all new subscribers will be charged $5.99 a month and current subscribers will see their bills drop to $5.99 a month.
Hulu also announced that their live TV service will increase to $44.99 a month. This price change comes after Hulu recently added numerous new channels including some Discovery networks to their lineup. This price hike may be annoying, but it is still less than the average price hike a cable TV subscriber is seeing this year.
If you subscribe to Hulu’s commercial-free plan you will see no change. Commercial free subscribers will continue to pay $11.99 a month going forward

Nimz

Expert Member
Anyone want to share a Hulu account?

I'm willing to pay half :ROFL: for my own profile

Tired of dealing with their payment bullshit

Quintus26

Anybody want a Gears IPTV login? I've got an account that has 6 months warranty. PM me.