What Phone are you using or planning on getting? (2022 edition)

insect

Still on the P30 Pro almost 3 years later. The charging port fits a bit loose, prob lint from my pockets, some times you have to jiggle it to super charge, and theres a couple of screen scratches that has become visible.

Battery still lasts a full day, pictures still excellent, speed wise everything still snappy. Plus I love the form factor and weight, its fits my hand perfectly.

When its 24 month contract expired I got a Note 20 ultra as I thought Samsung has a rep for making the best phones, plus it cost almost double the p30 pro price, so expected a lot.

Boy was I wrong. For me the note 20 was like a downgrade, it feels wrong in the hand, form factor not comfortable to hold at all, it charges slower, battery drains faster, theres stuttering in the UI with the exynos cpu, night time photos looks worse. Just could not get used to it. So its the backup phone. Dread the day I have to use it as an EDC.

Bought a dropped P40 Pro this week for 3k, only slight damage on the bottom part of the screen, so its livable, but Huawei wants 4.8k to repair. Feels almost exactly like the P30 Pro, I got it to experiment on with the no GMS OS, maybe I can get it to replace the P30, or at least find a workaround to prepare me for when the Note contract ends and get a P50.

Reactions: Yuu

themba990

Expert Member
Iphone 8, 64GB. The case is in bad shape so the phone has taken some knocks on the corners.

Mal79

I'm going to try and get a small phone this year. The huge Xiaomi I have now is okay but it's too bulky to fit properly in pockets. Maybe a iPhone 13 mini or a smaller Spamsung.
I was at Incredible Connection today - bliksem, phones these days are bloody huge. I thought my Hisense H12 was big....

Last edited:

Felixbf1980

Still on the P30 Pro almost 3 years later. The charging port fits a bit loose, prob lint from my pockets, some times you have to jiggle it to super charge, and theres a couple of screen scratches that has become visible.

Battery still lasts a full day, pictures still excellent, speed wise everything still snappy. Plus I love the form factor and weight, its fits my hand perfectly.

When its 24 month contract expired I got a Note 20 ultra as I thought Samsung has a rep for making the best phones, plus it cost almost double the p30 pro price, so expected a lot.

Boy was I wrong. For me the note 20 was like a downgrade, it feels wrong in the hand, form factor not comfortable to hold at all, it charges slower, battery drains faster, theres stuttering in the UI with the exynos cpu, night time photos looks worse. Just could not get used to it. So its the backup phone. Dread the day I have to use it as an EDC.

Bought a dropped P40 Pro this week for 3k, only slight damage on the bottom part of the screen, so its livable, but Huawei wants 4.8k to repair. Feels almost exactly like the P30 Pro, I got it to experiment on with the no GMS OS, maybe I can get it to replace the P30, or at least find a workaround to prepare me for when the Note contract ends and get a P50.
Youtubers are in fear to bad review Samsung and Apple devices, all of them are mediocre.
Many other Brands surpassed them 3-4 years ago.
My Mi Mix 4 charges from dead to 100% in 15 minutes @120watt and 0-100% @50 watt wireless charger in 30 minutes.

People will state on Youtube and on these very forums, what about battery issue's down the line, yet forget how both Samsung and Apple devices die in 2-3 years regardless of their slow charging.

Samsung and Apple devices are basically the current Nokia and Blackberry.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Youtubers are in fear to bad review Samsung and Apple devices, all of them are mediocre.
My Mi Mix 4 charges from dead to 100% in 15 minutes @120watt and 0-100% @50 watt wireless charger in 30 minutes.

People will state on Youtube and on these very forums, what about battery issue's down the line, yet forget how both Samsung and Apple devices die in 2-3 years regardless of their slow charging.

No.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Talk about a blanket rule lol.

Sure man.

maxXED

I have been using the Honor 50 lite for a few months now. For years I wouldn't touch a non Samsung or Huawei phone but I am quite impressed. Good value for money.

Reactions: Yuu

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I got hit by a wave of nostalgia earlier on.

The year was 2005, I had a shiny new Motorola E398 with its fancy 1.9" display, a 128MB MicroSD card filled to the brim with 64kbps MP3's and a VGA camera. The 800mAh battery lasted for days, and the 'bass' feature that the phone speakers had were the bees' knees!

moe398_00.jpg

Kat2016

I was recently gifted a brand new Huawei Nova 9 dual sim – which looks fantastic with regards to the camera etc. I was shocked to find out it doesn't run Google services, which is a game changer! I thought I lucked out getting this phone but can't vibe without my google apps.

If anyone likes Huawei and is interested in buying a new Nova 9 for a significant discount, send me a PM! It's totally unused and can furnish you with other details.

Readsalot

Expert Member
Been using a Samsung A520F (2017) and a Hisense Infinity H30 Lite (2019). Both struggling a bit now.

Looking for a decent phone that will last me a few years and takes great photos. Will use it mainly for browsing, reading, taking photos. Not an Apple fan. But there are so many android choices!

Looking at:

Value for money, I think:

Redmi Note 10 Pro for R6,700
Galaxy A52s for R8,000

Top of my budget:

Pixel 5A for R12,300
Galaxy S20FE for R11,000
" S21FE for R13,000

Or maybe:

OnePlus 8 Pro 5G for R12,500
OnePlus Nord 2 5G for R11,500
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G for R11,800

Wysjoumuis

Been using a Samsung A520F (2017) and a Hisense Infinity H30 Lite (2019). Both struggling a bit now.

Looking for a decent phone that will last me a few years and takes great photos. Will use it mainly for browsing, reading, taking photos. Not an Apple fan. But there are so many android choices!

Looking at:

Value for money, I think:

Redmi Note 10 Pro for R6,700
Galaxy A52s for R8,000

Top of my budget:

Pixel 5A for R12,300
Galaxy S20FE for R11,000
" S21FE for R13,000

Or maybe:

OnePlus 8 Pro 5G for R12,500
OnePlus Nord 2 5G for R11,500
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G for R11,800