What pool cleaner should I buy?

Barrymore

My Gemini Twinsweep cleaner has me outside every few minutes to remove it from the steps and to get the entire floor covered I have to attach a cord from the center hose to a tree branch, regularly moving the cord to another position.
I have forgotten what it is like to have a cleaner that needs no assistance. I once had the Aquanaut that was great when new but with many moving parts it constantly had to be cleaned or the plastic gears replaced. I fear that the robotic cleaners of today will also be susceptible to these problems.
I google pool cleaners and find someone who swears by the Barracuda T5 Duo but then a review gives it one star, calling it substandard. The Zodiac Barracuda Pacer has some good reviews but then someone complained that the rear weight often drags on the floor and the plastic becomes powdery.
My pool is 55000 litres with curved side walls and fibreglass.
If anyone help me decide it would be greatly appreciated.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
These things are like vacuum cleaners. It's extremely hard to find good quality ones that work for a long time.
Most of them only last a year.
So buy the cheapest one you can and hope you get lucky!

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
These things are like vacuum cleaners. It's extremely hard to find good quality ones that work for a long time.
Most of them only last a year.
So buy the cheapest one you can and hope you get lucky!
Exactly. Go to builders or whatever and buy a Voyager. Mine has been going strong for 3 years now.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
KreepyKrawly Pro. Lasts and lasts, only 1 moving part which has a 10 year warranty.

Grant

Honorary Master
i'm guessing various pool cleaners will perform differently in the same pool in that the shape and angles of walls and stairs will effect cleaners differently.
the length of the hose has an impact as well.

call a pool cleaning company that stocks different brands and ask for a test drive

Polish

Immigrant
Zodiac MX8. Running for 4 years now.
Would not advise if u have trees nearby, super machine for splaspools in clear area but the minute it gets twigs/ leaves/ needles it gets stuck.

My experience at least.

Barrymore

Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have some idea what to look for. I believe the advanced swivel technology is what is needed to prevent sticking at steps.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Would not advise if u have trees nearby, super machine for splaspools in clear area but the minute it gets twigs/ leaves/ needles it gets stuck.

My experience at least.
My mx6 was rubbish. Basically just bought a hugbug which is a much simpler mechanism and isn't perfect but at least it doesn't get stuck every 2 minutes. I did find that 1 twig = mx6 stuck.

Barrymore

OK. I read an excellent review of the "New Kreepy krauly model no. 360040"
I sent an e-mail to Pentair in SA and overseas asking if this model is available in SA.
I was at the PnP hyper this afternoon and saw it, (I hope) but no model number is displayed on the box.
The box calls it "The new Kreepy Krauly Pro" I bought it based on the fact that the picture on the box
appears to be identical to the pic in the review. Tomorrow I will open the box. Holding thumbs.

midnightcaller

Expert Member
Zodiac mx8

Got it for over 2 years and it runs perfectly in my pool.

Pool skim since 2002 - saves me a lot of headache with leaves

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I would check your chemicals because if plastic is turning powdery you have a good chance your pump and pipes also are getting damaged. You probably using Blue52 if I may has a guess.
I have a splash pool and my findings are the best cleaner for a smaller fiberglass pool is a Hug Bug.

Mila

Honorary Master
Zodiac mx8

Got it for over 2 years and it runs perfectly in my pool.

Pool skim since 2002 - saves me a lot of headache with leaves
Same here only we have ours for almost 5 years now. And I have two trees close to the pool. The skimmer sort out the twigs so the mx8 ( WallE ) Doesn't get stuck.
We have a fiber glass pool. Has been in for a service a few times but it has been free up until the now.

Barrymore

I've spent all morning assembling this unit. It is now running.
A few points I would like to make.
1. The video and review I watched appears to be two years old. In the video the guy easily pulled the rubber skirt over the base using his fingers. The skirt that I have is much thicker and much more harder to fit, like fitting a car tyre onto a rim, I had to use a lever on it.
Presumably mine is a later and hopefully an improved model.
2. the 45 degree elbow supplied has the same outside diameter as the hose. A suitable coupling should have been included in the box.

Barrymore

My new Kreepy Krauly Pro has been in the pool for over a week. Here are some observations.

1. Back washing prior to installation, it ran for two days but on the third day it slowed down then stopped completely.
As we had had no wind there was no leaves etc to block the cleaner. All I could do was to backwash again, for 30 seconds,
even though there was good suction at the weir, then it worked again. This made me wonder whether my 0.75KW motor was not strong enough for this cleaner.

2. Balancing the hoses with the weights has been a nightmare. Sometimes the front hoses sink right down in the water and the cleaner
tilts forwards and sometimes I find it tilting sideways. I have removed all the weights on the first two hoses but this has not sorted the problem.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
My new Kreepy Krauly Pro has been in the pool for over a week. Here are some observations.

1. Back washing prior to installation, it ran for two days but on the third day it slowed down then stopped completely.
As we had had no wind there was no leaves etc to block the cleaner. All I could do was to backwash again, for 30 seconds,
even though there was good suction at the weir, then it worked again. This made me wonder whether my 0.75KW motor was not strong enough for this cleaner.

2. Balancing the hoses with the weights has been a nightmare. Sometimes the front hoses sink right down in the water and the cleaner
tilts forwards and sometimes I find it tilting sideways. I have removed all the weights on the first two hoses but this has not sorted the problem.
It's a balancing game but for most polls the weight should be half way to two thirds up on the second pipe from the cleaner. Secondly, adjust the suction valve- screw it full closed then open it one turn, see if it climbs too high then open it another turn until it doesn't climb high enough to suck air.

Splinter

Honorary Master

I was going to recommend the kreepy krawly myself. had mine for a couple of years now. I have no idea what model you have that needed an entire morning to set up. Mine had some funny attachments buy I didn't bother and just threw it in the pool (no weights or stuff).

Works well, much better than the gemini I had before. Also doesn't have that diagphragm that seems to split every few months in the other products.