What Rain is doing to make sure its 5G network doesn't struggle like 4G

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Rain's cheap uncapped 5G — learning from its 4G mistakes

Rain is ensuring that there is enough capacity on its 5G network to sustain the rollout of its cheaper uncapped package for R499 per month.

“As we roll out the network, we add coverage and capacity,” Rain CEO Brandon Leigh told MyBroadband.
What a lying SOB! I have documented proof since November 2019 that the RAIN 5G network has been in steady decline in my area with ZERO improvements or added infrastructure to combat the saturation over the last almost 2 years. This also from the mouths of the RAIN engineers (not runners) who have been to my premises to investigate.

HTF can he even say that. He is disconnected from happenings on the ground and telling half truths! Anyways I have ICASA involved now.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Contrary to what many have experienced, Rain has been absolutely brilliant for me!

I've used their support channels on a number of occasions and have been pleasantly surprised every time!!

Counting my blessings....

rain 5g.PNG

thenameisjaco

Contrary to what many have experienced, Rain has been absolutely brilliant for me!

I've used their support channels on a number of occasions and have been pleasantly surprised every time!!

Counting my blessings....

View attachment 1151764
I've also never seemed to experience the predominantly negative experience most people have with rain. I used the off peak 4g plan for R250 for years and was super happy with it. It is by far the cheapest uncapped mobile solution that exists, so I really didn't care about the rare dip in signal or speed. Ive now left rain but only because Ive moved to an area that doesnt have rain coverage (the coverage is bad with all ISPs though). I think if your area has good coverage its a great option.

Raxi

It really depends on what you want to use it for. For me it's been worth it as quantity-over-quality solution for the kids' Netflix, my Steam downloads and the occasional online gaming after 10pm. I'm upgrading my 4G to the new entry level 5G package.

If you want a connection that can handle two video streams, your wife's Teams calls and your PUBG sessions all at the same time, go somewhere else.

eg2505

Honorary Master
go somewhere else.
where? if you dont have Fiber, what other options can you use?
SA isnt exactly South Korea where 5GBPS internet is everywhere.

were still Africa where internet is considered a luxury.

Raxi

where? if you dont have Fiber, what other options can you use?
SA isnt exactly South Korea where 5GBPS internet is everywhere.

were still Africa where internet is considered a luxury.
True. But if real-time speed and stability is required, rain is probably not the best option. I have a Cellc Home Connecta Flexi connection as well, connected to an antenna on the roof, which we mostly use for work meetings etc. I considered Supersonic as well, but my MTN signal here is not great. I have a Vodacom sim too, which I use during load shedding, since everything else is dead then, in my area.