what religion are you?

sparklehorse

I would be turn atheist, if scientist ever discover the metaphysics of conscious(soul) I know that it exists but it's not been explained by science, until then I cannot believe that their is no afterlife(the ultimate paycheck most people are waiting for); my theory of the 'soul' is much like the theory of gravity; it's mechanisms are from another dimension but it is only noticed and does not function in ours.
How do you know that there is such a thing as a soul?

Neo

Expert Member
Here's a pukka philosophical question:

What is it that drives people to WANT to believe that there is an afterlife, when we have no evidence at all that it exists?

Orangeman's statement that he cannot believe there is no afterlife is indicative of this view.

Is it the stick/carrot concept, social conditioning, what? Can't quite see it as a result of natural selection....:confused:

dodo, you need not reply you won't even understand the question.

Natas

Expert Member
I am a Christian for the cloning of Je sus... We christians for the cloning of je sus want to use the genetic information from the shroud of turin to clone Je sus and ourselves ensure the second coming of the lord our saviour.

But that is not where we stop....we want to clone Je sus many times over. Imagine a world where everyone has their very own Je sus, whenever you need guidance you can just get on the phone and call home and talk to your very own personal je sus!!!

BCO

Honorary Master
I am a Christian for the cloning of Je sus... We christians for the cloning of je sus want to use the genetic information from the shroud of turin to clone Je sus and ourselves ensure the second coming of the lord our saviour.

But that is not where we stop....we want to clone Je sus many times over. Imagine a world where everyone has their very own Je sus, whenever you need guidance you can just get on the phone and call home and talk to your very own personal je sus!!!

Lol, Depeche Mode FTW.

. Imagine a world where everyone has their very own Je sus, whenever you need guidance you can just get on the phone and call home and talk to your very own personal je sus!!!
It is so sad that you must joke like this, thinking you're so clever... if you really need Him , here is the helpline JEREMIA 33v3.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
so if any what are you into or part of ?

Atheist, Buddist, Pagan, Islam, Hindu, Christian, Spiritualist, Seeker, Jedi Knight, Jewish ?????

or you just don't believe in any form religion ?

done any conversions from one group to other ?
I don't really argue religion much. I have friends who are Christian (Catholics and Protestants), Shinto, Jewish and Atheist. One of my Shinto friends is not very Shinto though, haha, he actually wanted to convert to Catholicism
for the sake of his Italian girlfriend. He was a huge fan of John Paul II
despite not being Catholic he saw him as a great man, although his grandmother is Catholic (one of about 250.000 living in Japan). The Japanese
are not very religious though, although my girlfriend's father is a
regular church goer (my gf is Japanese too from a Catholic family).

Defend The Faith

I don't really argue religion much. I have friends who are Christian (Catholics and Protestants), Shinto, Jewish and Atheist. One of my Shinto friends is not very Shinto though, haha, he actually wanted to convert to Catholicism
for the sake of his Italian girlfriend. He was a huge fan of John Paul II
despite not being Catholic he saw him as a great man, although his grandmother is Catholic (one of about 250.000 living in Japan). The Japanese
are not very religious though, although my girlfriend's father is a
regular church goer (my gf is Japanese too from a Catholic family).
Argue about faith, no i don't think so but defend it, yes since joining the forums i realised it is certainly the right thing to do...

Don't get me wrong I do not defend G-D, he is almighty... he does not need me to defend him... but G-D gave me the tools to defend the faith, so indeed that i do...

Encarta Dictionary:

The soul is a FACT as you can notice it; it is paranormal to modern science

please read post #18 fully before commenting on my views of life
Someone told me evolution is a philosophy and referred me to Colossians 2v8.
I find £18 therefore quite interesting...

Neo

Expert Member

:mad:
I DID NOT SPECIFY IF THEIR IS OR IF THEIR IS NOT AN AFTERLIFE, I SAID THAT THEIR MAY BE AN AFTERLIFE, IT MAY DEPEND ON THE SCIENTIFIC UNDERSTANDING THE CONSCIENCE(SOUL), THE METAPHYSICS OF THE PSYCHE(FREE WILL/SOUL/CONSCIENCE)
I need to go and find the quote but what you said was: "I cannot believe...." and it was this type of statement I was questioning.

If you have any doubts about your soul then watch a modern documentary on the brain or read some of the literature. It turns out a spiritual experience can be invoked by applying electric currents to the brain. Modern Neurology dictates that all that we consider Self (free will soul conscience all included) is physical and can be studied by examining the primary organ in this system, the brain :)

Rex Regis

If you have any doubts about your soul then watch a modern documentary on the brain or read some of the literature. It turns out a spiritual experience can be invoked by applying electric currents to the brain. Modern Neurology dictates that all that we consider Self (free will soul conscience all included) is physical and can be studied by examining the primary organ in this system, the brain :)
Yet medical science cannot even begin to understand how our brains work!

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Rex , you are missing a word in that sentence... its YET... we are working on it, and gaining a greater and greater understanding of the brain with each and every day.

Yet medical science cannot even begin to understand how our brains work!
Really? At the moment every field in anatomy is undergoing major discovery by using fMRI. I can't say what is the limit or how fast science can go but already we have good indications that the brain contains all the personality and mental capacity we usually attribute to the soul.

This is obviously an issue for you only if you still believe that you can survive death. For the rest of us its a glimmer of hope in the darkness that deceases like Parkinson's and Alzheimers brings.

Last edited:

Rex Regis

Really? At the moment every field in anatomy is undergoing major discovery by using fMRI. I can't say what is the limit or how fast science can go but already we have good indications that the brain contains all the personality and mental capacity we usually attribute to the soul.

This is obviously an issue for you only if you still believe that you can survive death. For the rest of us its a glimmer of hope in the darkness that deceases like Parkinson's and Alzheimers brings.
I am all for them finding cures, just saying, we dont understand how more than 10% of the brain works.............of course we know it hold our personality etc just we shouldnt write off things just because we dont understand them , a few centuries ago they didnt even understand the shape or our planet....so whose to say if heaven or hell exist