What remuneration to expect Mechanical engineering Technican (National Diploma)

Ashtonleeseloka

Greetings,

I am to complete my inservice training and graduate next year and i was wondering roughly what one could expect remuneration wise for a first job as a mechanical engineering technician.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Greetings,

I am to complete my inservice training and graduate next year and i was wondering roughly what one could expect remuneration wise for a first job as a mechanical engineering technician.
Speak to your HR. Remuneration differs from industry to industry.

Also, you shouldn't be concerned about it at this stage in your career. Concentrate on working hard and developing yourself. The rest will follow naturally. Don't pay attention to what your friends are earning or what cars they drive. Get your hands dirty and learn as much as possible.

All the best.

Ashtonleeseloka

Also, you shouldn't be concerned about it at this stage in your career. Concentrate on working hard and developing yourself. The rest will follow naturally. Don't pay attention to what your friends are earning or what cars they drive. Get your hands dirty and learn as much as possible.

All the best.
Honestly not what i expected to hear, but im truly thankful for the advice.
I guess at the end of the day the qualification is just a paper and we determine our own success.

Colin62

Executive Member

All the best.
That’s all very well, but some of us had to earn a living and pay for stuff like rent and food when we qualified and then it is pretty important to know how much you’re going to be getting.

cguy

Executive Member
That’s all very well, but some of us had to earn a living and pay for stuff like rent and food when we qualified and then it is pretty important to know how much you’re going to be getting.
Pro tip: If your chosen profession won’t pay for rent and food, you should probably have chosen another awhile back.

Daisy Cloudskitter

Expert Member
Below sites might be some use for (very) ballpark numbers. Perhaps try calling Career Junction for a better perspective. Good luck with graduation next year.

Payscale :
https://www.payscale.com/research/ZA/Job=Mechanical_Engineering_Technician/Salary

Average Mechanical Engineering Technician Salary in South Africa
An entry-level Mechanical Engineering Technician with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average of R125K, based on 13 salaries.

Career Junction :
https://www.careerjunction.co.za/marketing/salarysurvey

Engineering Technician
Intermediate R20,943 - R27,652
Senior R27,008 - R35,863

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Honestly not what i expected to hear, but im truly thankful for the advice.
I guess at the end of the day the qualification is just a paper and we determine our own success.
You are right. Your remuneration will depend on two things, your ability to negotiate and and the budget of the organisation. You can negotiate on the value proposition that you present vs your peers. You get only one chance at determining the level that you enter the organisation. Negotiate wisely.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Starting salaries in his field are usually enough to pay for basics like rent, transport, food and other things, especially if he's working in mining and mineral processing. Point I was making is that he shouldn't let it be a distraction at this stage. He'll reap the rewards later if he's patient.