What South Africa’s Internet actually looks like

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
great stuff!

afterfibre.net may be useful to fill in the fibre in africa gap

Cantse

Actually the digram is not fully accurate in that it gives a flat as opposed to heirachical/ overlay view.

What it omits is that Internet traffic goes to a Broadband Remote Aggregation server (at which authentication, authorization & accouting takes place). That node is actually an IP level node in per region, and from there it goes over IP to an internet peering/ transit node which can be local or international. The diagram needs to distinguish between the IP layer (Internet layer) and the transmssion (fiber/ ME) layer, as it inaccurately conflates the two.

What about public WiFi? Where do the 3G & LTE networks plug in (hint GGSN & PGW)?

Lazy

So if I look at all these cables I can't help but wonder why the benefits of having them isn't more obvious...?

MickeyD

RIP
Actually the digram is not fully accurate in that it gives a flat as opposed to heirachical/ overlay view.

What it omits is that Internet traffic goes to a Broadband Remote Aggregation server (at which authentication, authorization & accouting takes place). That node is actually an IP level node in per region, and from there it goes over IP to an internet peering/ transit node which can be local or international. The diagram needs to distinguish between the IP layer (Internet layer) and the transmssion (fiber/ ME) layer, as it inaccurately conflates the two.
Thinking the same... went looking for suitable pics/diagrams but work is interfering with my MyBB time!

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Very very nice article.

My only nit-pick: In the first graphic, not all content comes via a data centre. Some will be peer-to-peer.