What South Africa’s Internet actually looks like

Broadband Infraco and Neotel network the same? Transtel fiber network?

Very informative I must say.

Now that was interesting, and oddly enough really relevant to what's on my plate at the moment...

Now that was interesting, and oddly enough really relevant to what's on my plate at the moment...

And in other news Vodacom and MTN want to keep raping the South African population into the ground with their ridiculios MTR's.

interesting indeed. now if only i had fibre access.....

A very useful article that gives the layman a good idea of the "behind the scenes" of the internet. Sure there could have been more detail, but then most non technical people would lose interest.

Nicely Done MyBB

Very good article for a layman...

It makes a few assumptions that are oversimplify things, but hey... :)

Thinking the same... went looking for suitable pics/diagrams but work is interfering with my MyBB time!

Someone should draw up a layered diagram of how the dslams, msans, connect to the ESRs (BRAS) which connect connect to isps how it all fits together over atm, sdh, microwave etc.

Would be one mother of a diagram with plenty of layers.

Someone should draw up a layered diagram of how the dslams, msans, connect to the ESRs (BRAS) which connect connect to isps how it all fits together over atm, sdh, microwave etc.

Would be one mother of a diagram with plenty of layers.
A starter, like this?

Screen_012.jpg

A starter, like this?

Yes but way more comprehensive.

It would be like a Internet/Telecoms 101 course.

Example, one would start with fiber.
Here one would mention the different types of fibre, wavelengths etc, arial vs buried, cladding/armouring, how it's made, splicing, tails & connectors, how they bury undersea cables etc etc
Then move on to SDH, WDM/DWDM, digital cross connects, protocols, ring topology for national & local rings, add drop muxes. Mention the hierarchy of the DPSU/DSSU overlays etc etc.
And many more topics covering access technologies, protocols etc etc

Each topic would probably span one or two posts. The end result would be a communications primer guide/course which could be released as a PDF book.

I'm willing to do this but I'm not that up to date wrt how the msans fit into the bigger picture. As far as I know all the bras functionality has been taken up by the ESRs. If anybody want's to PM me some details on later developments I could use that after sanitising company proprietary info etc.

This was really cool.

What about we get all the MyBB to crowd-source a map of SA's (logical) networks. Who interconnects with whom, how traffic is routed upstream etc? We can use NMAP?

For example... from a Traceroute to Amazon I can see my WebAfrica traffic goes via IS to London where it gets onto Level 3 's network.

Example of what I did in a couple of minutes using NMAP. With a couple of people we should be able to have a pretty awesome map...

TopologyMap.jpg

DFA fibre runs past my house, how do I tap into it?

Use the force, Luke.

No, practically, contact your local Wireless ISP. Or start a fiber division for them.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone would start a company that allows all these operators to share infrastructure to cut costs and unnecessary redundancy? ... Kind of like ATC and DFA are doing... except they're not lean enough and too late to the party... hence underutilized.

Back