What South Africans paid for Internet in 2000

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

South Africa has made tremendous strides over the last 20 years with a competitive broadband market and world-class fibre and mobile networks.

To appreciate how far the country’s telecoms market has come, it is valuable to turn to clock back two decades and see how people connected to the Internet.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Power was rock stable then. The only time the call would drop was when some idiot in the house picked the phone :D
Well not where I lived, used to go off once a week as they never upgraded the substation. Until I moved out and then a year later load shedding sigh

SilverCode

I worked for a 3 man outfit around then from the ones guys house. We got a 64k diginet line since running the business over dial-up proved to be unreliable and expensive. The one guy was always out of the office doing sales and support, so it was just the 2 of us in the office who had a whole 64k diginet line to ourselves. It was pure bliss.

Then our FTP server got "hacked" by some Russian warez group because we had no idea what we were doing. And that is when things got even better. We would go home for the night (well I would .. it was the other guys house), come back in the morning, and there was a bunch of new music, games and pron waiting for us on the server. We would copy it off, delete it to free up space and then wait for the next batch of warez to show up. Sadly after the one guy moved back overseas and we relocated to the other guys house, the public IP of the diginet line changed and the Russians never found us again :(

Lupus

Honorary Master
I worked for a 3 man outfit around then from the ones guys house. We got a 64k diginet line since running the business over dial-up proved to be unreliable and expensive. The one guy was always out of the office doing sales and support, so it was just the 2 of us in the office who had a whole 64k diginet line to ourselves. It was pure bliss.

Then our FTP server got "hacked" by some Russian warez group because we had no idea what we were doing. And that is when things got even better. We would go home for the night (well I would .. it was the other guys house), come back in the morning, and there was a bunch of new music, games and pron waiting for us on the server. We would copy it off, delete it to free up space and then wait for the next batch of warez to show up. Sadly after the one guy moved back overseas and we relocated to the other guys house, the public IP of the diginet line changed and the Russians never found us again :(
In high school we had 64k diginet for the computer labs, it was like woo I can download things.
I remember working at IBM in 2001,they had a few PRI lines for internet and voice, I was amazed I could download Quake in an hour.
Even reading web comics were possible, going home to the 56k was slow. A friend had a 128k isdn and used to download 80mb episodes of Buffy and such. I mean it took 2 hours to download each one, so an entire weekend was used for a few episodes.

Swa

Honorary Master
So what happened after 2000 that our internet prices got out of whack with the rest of the world?

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

South Africa has made tremendous strides over the last 20 years with a competitive broadband market and world-class fibre and mobile networks.

To appreciate how far the country’s telecoms market has come, it is valuable to turn to clock back two decades and see how people connected to the Internet.
In relative terms what would that R7 back in 2000 be now in 2021?

These articles are pointless without that.