What the $%&! is an inverter?

Nick333

Honorary Master
Heya RedViking
The more i look at this puppy the more i am falling in love with it and i think this will meet your power requirements.
Worst case scenario it just doesnt but then you could always just add another 2 batteries and you will be sorted.
https://www.takealot.com/smart-powe...-pure-sine-inverter-ups-charger-/PLID41356450

EDIT: The added bonus is this upgradable whereby should you be hit with load shedding during the day this puppy can also harness energy from the sun. I love it :love:
I'm not sure adding batteries is going to help anything. At a max load of 6.5Amps (if I'm calculating properly), that's 15 hours of continuous operation before full drain. Adding another inverter would allow you to add a bigger load to the batteries though for a quicker drain.

Having said that I'd be wary about running it at peak for very long if at all.

I'm not sure adding batteries is going to help anything. At a max load of 6.5Amps (if I'm calculating properly), that's 15 hours of continuous operation before full drain. Adding another inverter would allow you to add a bigger load to the batteries though for a quicker drain.

Having said that I'd be wary about running it at peak for very long if at all.
Agree, watch your load, 540W load in the example gives you 3-4hrs on the system, that's pretty impressive. Redvikings PSU is rated at 700W but in reality it will be less in consumption, so this bad boy might just be the solution he is looking for. And if load shedding is during the day and you have a few solar panels connected as well you will be smiling all day

If I didn't have a UPS and was looking for something I would jump on this puppy.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Heya RedViking
The more i look at this puppy the more i am falling in love with it and i think this will meet your power requirements.
Worst case scenario it just doesnt but then you could always just add another 2 batteries and you will be sorted.
https://www.takealot.com/smart-powe...-pure-sine-inverter-ups-charger-/PLID41356450

EDIT: The added bonus is this upgradable whereby should you be hit with load shedding during the day this puppy can also harness energy from the sun. I love it :love:
Excluding Batteries though. That can get very pricey.

beans100

Executive Member
You will have to calculate the total load and buy the appropriate size inverter.

That was just an example for a typical setup.

Why is your PC consuming 750W? Sorry, I don't play PC games
Just to be clear, I know how it works. Was just trying to make a point there, that 600W is a bit low for all the things he was naming there.

GAD

I bought this Mecer inverter from a local PC hardware shop in PE with the previous loadshedding BS and only used it for two loadsheddings and loadshedding stopped untill now.

My problem is this. Paid R10 000 for the unit only to use benefit from it twice.

Now loadshedding is back from the dead and know this /÷£×_÷^@$ thing is not working anymore. The 2x deepcycle batteries are not charging.

How badluck can one get.

Any techies out there who can guide me as to what to do and what might be wrong with it.

Cant even remember the name of the bullshitters who sold it to me. Just know they made a killing with the previous loadshedding fiasco. Think I might just pay them a visit soon cause I remember where they are situated.

It looked like a decent quality unit at the time.

Only thing I can think of is to remove the batteries and charge them and if they charge it must be some other problem than the batteries. And these batteries are R2500 each to replace.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanx chaps. View attachment 588314
Opened the inverter today and charged the first bat and not even 5 min it was fully charged so it was fine. Second bat is dead me thinks. Flickering yellow and green light on smart charger.

Would that explain why the unit is not working because they are connected in series. The 2 x 12 volt equals 24 volts which explains that the one dead bat does not produce the 24 volts needed and thus showing bats are not charged.

Pardon my noobness as I am no tech head.

But I am sure the tech heads here would guide me nicely

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Opened the inverter today and charged the first bat and not even 5 min it was fully charged so it was fine. Second bat is dead me thinks. Flickering yellow and green light on smart charger.

Would that explain why the unit is not working because they are connected in series. The 2 x 12 volt equals 24 volts which explains that the one dead bat does not produce the 24 volts needed and thus showing bats are not charged.

Pardon my noobness as I am no tech head.

But I am sure the tech heads here would guide me nicely
Yes

Out of interest, the battery that was "dead", was it the one connected to the positive or negative cabling?

Two batteries connected + to - will measure 24 across both from + to -
Two batteries in parallel + to + and - to - will measure 12V.

GAD

Yes

Out of interest, the battery that was "dead", was it the one connected to the positive or negative cabling?

Two batteries connected + to - will measure 24 across both from + to -
Two batteries in parallel + to + and - to - will measure 12V.
Negative cabling

Al fuses and capacitors intact