What to buy (+- R11k)

AntiThesis

Executive Member
So, I have around R11k to spend on a camera and lens - any suggestions? I've had a think about the 60D and that's a possibility but I'm not opposed to good second hand gear - not keen on any of the xxxD or xxxxD range :)

I have two Canon lenses already so I'm unlikely to go for Nikon or other (just in case).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So, I have around R11k to spend on a camera and lens - any suggestions? I've had a think about the 60D and that's a possibility but I'm not opposed to good second hand gear - not keen on any of the xxxD or xxxxD range :)

I have two Canon lenses already so I'm unlikely to go for Nikon or other (just in case).
60D or maybe a used 7D? What are your interests?

Last edited:

AntiThesis

Executive Member
60D or maybe a used 7D? What are your interests?

Mainly macro and landscape stuff, some architecture. Some (read little) people and portraiture. Taking a look at ODP and some of the stuff is not too bad. I hate having to decide what to buy, I can never figure it out :D

mfumbesi

Expert Member
Mainly macro and landscape stuff, some architecture. Some (read little) people and portraiture.

With that money you can get two second hand bodies.
I would suggest the 5D (MK1 obviously) for landscape and maybe a 40D as a second body for macro photography.
The 40D can be had for as little as R3500 and the 5D for around R6000, hell you might even have some spare change for a Flash unit.
Good luck.