What to consider when buying an LTE router

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
So you have to choose between a 5G modem or a 4G one that will be outdated in a few months? Which one?
Nope. 5G is miles away, and will not be ubiquitous for many many years even when it launches.

Swa

Honorary Master
I do not believe we are near 5G yet I mean Cat20 LTE only just recently started showing in the S10. I don't think the world will move on to 5G just yet. Coverage will be an issue
We'll see when the modems launch in a few months' time. I won't be buying anything now that will be outdated by then.

cavedog

Honorary Master
We'll see when the modems launch in a few months' time. I won't be buying anything now that will be outdated by then.
People were saying the same for 2G and yet here we are. GSM still alive and kicking.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Plus cost. Of course.

Why on earth would anyone fork out top dollar for an essentially unavailable technology in a country such as ours. Plus if I actually received proper LTE-A speeds on my B618 why would I even want > 300mbps. Hell I'd be happy with 30mpbs constant !

Logistically and financially 5g is a decade away in SA, if at all...

The end.

ProAsm

Expert Member
First of all I do not have proof of 4x4 mimo BUT Telkom and Rain run 4x4 mimo and some cases massive mimo setups on their towers especially on their TDD bands. You will see this is especially true for Telkom which uses the flat rectangular sector antennas. Look at the cables at the bottom. It would give an indication of the towers 4x4 mimo capabilities. Very interesting. This is where Samsung s8,s9,s10 and upwards devices and B618 Cat18 and higher would support both 2cc and 4x4 mimo. If you aggregate a band with 2x2 mimo with a band with 4x4 mimo the mimo mode will fall down to 2x2. I do not know if each device has enough radios to support it or if there is a minimum standard to meet I would need to research more on that.

I know for a FACT that Telkom broadcasts LTE on 3 frequencies and 2 bocks of spectrum on the one. Band 1 - 5MHz x 2 FDD, Band 3 - 10MHz x 2 FDD, Band 40 - 20MHz x 2 non-contiguous. Telkom aggregated B1+B3 and B40+B40.

4x4 mimo or massive mimo on LTE has a theoretical max higher than say 2x2 mimo with 2 carrier aggregation. 4x4 mimo squeezes every bit of bandwidth from that tower so much more efficient than say a 2 carrier aggregation that will likely see a higher peak on a speedtest.

I'm using Telkom and Rain networks as examples as they both operate both FDD and TDD bands on LTE and aggregate them and implement mimo on them. One very interesting statement from Rain to me is that the more cats the better even if the lte combinations aren't supported the chipset has been improved. Better chipset means better carrier aggregation performance. Telkom with their 2x 20MHz spectrum in Band 40 is the perfect example of how the latest chipset is SO efficient at aggregating the two spectrum blocks giving great performance.
Very interesting indeed.
I will most certainly take a closer look in future.

I agree on the 5G situation as in SA the ISP's all charge on Speed rather than Data use, strange but true.
Can emagine what 5G will cost as the entry level speed is around 200 Mbps

kyuubi64

Article has incorrect specs for B525. It does have 2x2 MIMO, also it does have carrier aggregation.

katastrofie

Anyone know of any stores that currently have stock of the B618s-65d? I'm looking to buy the device upfront.

Mampara

We in S.A don't even have proper 4G coverage let alone 4G advance but carriers talking about 5G. Let's first get proper 4G advance LTE A coverage before talking about expensive 5G

Lupus

Honorary Master
We in S.A don't even have proper 4G coverage let alone 4G advance but carriers talking about 5G. Let's first get proper 4G advance LTE A coverage before talking about expensive 5G
In order for more coverage, spectrum needs to be granted, currently they can't give the spectrum they'd like cause of something that was supposed to be turned off in 2008, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018.

cavedog

Honorary Master
When last did you look at the coverage coverage map of Vodacom and MTN. Extensive LTE and LTE-A coverage around South Africa even in small towns that has just 1 street pass through the whole town there is LTE-A.

neoprema

Expert Member
If you're on Telkom, apparently you need one that can force WHICH home network its on. If you want to get anything out of your Telkom LTE bundle.

Swa

Honorary Master
Well only LTE-A really qualifies as 4G. LTE rollout however is doing fine. With every new technology rollout becomes easier as the masts are already there. Won't even be a year before 5G is mainstream.

Yikes.

Looks like we have reached the point now where 5G phones and routers will need to be liquid-cooled:

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/295228-5g-modems-and-phones-literally-cant-handle-the-heat-of-summer-weather
Reach that point long ago. ZTE dongle I had literally started smoking.

kyuubi64

A lil bit off topic, but has anyone tested out any of Poynting's puk antennas? Looking at them as they seem claim to also work with 5G frequencies so should be futureproof.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
So I see the B311 on Takealot at sub R900. But it's old tech. Like the B315.

Swa

Honorary Master
So I posted this 7 months ago and Rain has been expanding for months now at a rapid pace...