What to do if you are in South Africa’s massive data leak

Sollie

Honorary Master
Manie van Schalkwyk, of the Southern African Fraud Prevention Service, said consumers must not attempt to verify if their details are in the database through uncertified third-parties.

“Rather get your credit report from a credit bureau and check if there are any suspicious transactions,” he said.

I've known about Troy for years, who and what he is, but who is Manie van Schalkwyk and the SAFPS? As for suspicious transactions, that would be a bit like trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted. When it comes to a credit bureau, sure, their data is out there on the web, Troy has a copy, is totally trustworthy and he knows what is in the dump. :p

I would suggest a uncertified third-party made the world and South Africa aware of this, while the data leaked from a certified party. The point is not the certification, rather knowing the integrity of those behind these.

This is the problem in not knowing who is who on the web and why certain people should be working closely together. In fact any ID in that dump should be flagged at all real South African credit bureaus.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It worries me that the South African Fraud Prevention Service doesn't know who Troy Hunt is....

Adrianax

Banned
It worries me that the South African Fraud Prevention Service doesn't know who Troy Hunt is....

It worries me even more that I do not know who the SAFPS is. Also, why should I give my information to them? So that they can forward it to credit bureaus and have my information publicly shared somewhere again in some leak?

F**k them, I'll rather stick with Troy checking info for me.

hj007

Expert Member
quick google search seems to note that Manie was the Credit Ombudsman till 2015...

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Dreams are made of this ........

Hunt said he hopes people around the world start asking who they want holding their personal data, and that we start insisting the data belongs to the individual – regardless of who is storing it.
This is a pipe dream
Once the falcon has flown -- the demons are unleashed
NO GOING BACK !

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Mad Hatter and the Rabbit Hole

Then he was not a prominent figure that made good decisions for the consumer. Still don't know who he is.
Do you know who the judges were -- and what the court case was in which it was decided that being compelled to give a full set of fingerprints to the government in order to get an ID ( HAVE A LIFE ) was declared / judged NOT an infringement of a persons / citizens right to privacy.

I did mention it here some time ago -- I wonder if ANYONE read it ?

Do you know who the politicians were that signed off on RICA / FICA ?
Do you know which political parties ( and which members in those parties ) were against ( and debated thus ) the implementation of these ludicrous and useless but contrary to the spirit of the bill of rights, bits of legislation ?

Bill of Rights
As useless and ineffective as the wonderful most advanced constitution -- in the WORLD !
( That cannot impeach a rogue madman criminal president )

:mad:

Cassady

Expert Member
Can someone please explain how you check if your information has been compromised? Through the "haveIbeenpwned"(?) Website? Doesn't that only allow you to check for your email address?

How would you check if your ID number etc. is in this leaked DB?

AFAIK, to be able to get specific details off Hunt's site, don't you need to subscribe/register or something?

Adrianax

Banned
Can someone please explain how you check if your information has been compromised? Through the "haveIbeenpwned"(?) Website? Doesn't that only allow you to check for your email address?

AFAIK, to be able to get specific details off Hunt's site, don't you need to subscribe/register or something?

You cannot check if you are listed.

On Troy's website you can only search an email address. But, if the credit bureau did not have your email address you will not be able to check any other way.

But, again, there is a Home Affairs database in the dataset. So, if you are a South African with an identity number, you are listed.

Cassady

Expert Member
You cannot check if you are listed.

On Troy's website you can only search an email address. But, if the credit bureau did not have your email address you will not be able to check any other way.

But, again, there is a Home Affairs database in the dataset. So, if you are a South African with an identity number, you are listed.

Good grief. I'm clearly slow on the uptake... So are you saying that if you're a South African with an ID number, then you have been compromised? So they have the details (ID, address, income etc) of ALL of us??

Adrianax

Banned
Good grief. I'm clearly slow on the uptake... So are you saying that if you're a South African with an ID number, then you have been compromised? So they have the details (ID, address, income etc) of ALL of us??

They definitely have the names, surnames and identity number of every South African National born up to 2015.

Depending on how credit-active you are, they may have your addresses, telephone numbers, cellphone numbers, estimated income, location, gender, race, e-mail address, physical address and postal address. If you were not credit active, did not apply for credit past 10-20 years, they will probably have very limited information on you.

If you are a home owner or director of a company, they have all this information on you too.

Just a last point, use it, don't use it. This database has been removed from the server where it was found. It has not yet popped up in marketplaces in the underworld or elsewhere. It seems it is not (yet) being circulated.

Last edited:

greg0205

Honorary Master

Check with your e-mail and scroll down... The site list *all* the hacks your data has been compromised on.

You're looking for the "Master Deeds" leak (signified with the ZA flag)... Others like Dropbox and LinkedIn might pop up too, and ya might want to look at changing your passwords on those anyway.

Cassady

Expert Member
Check with your e-mail and scroll down... The site list *all* the hacks your data has been compromised on.

You're looking for the "Master Deeds" leak (signified with the ZA flag)... Others like Dropbox and LinkedIn might pop up too, and ya might want to look at changing your passwords on those anyway.

Don't you need to register/subscribe to their site to see the specific details like that? IIRC, when I checked using my "burn" email address, it listed that it had been compromised "x" times, but to see the details of those, you needed to register/subscribe?

But quite likely I missing something obvious... Will go check again.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Don't you need to register/subscribe to their site to see the specific details like that? IIRC, when I checked using my "burn" email address, it listed that it had been compromised "x" times, but to see the details of those, you needed to register/subscribe?

But quite likely I missing something obvious... Will go check again.

You can register to get notifications of future breaches, other than that, it really just a big picture of where you're at right now.

Cassady

Expert Member
You can register to get notifications of future breaches, other than that, it really just a big picture of where you're at right now.

Ah - thanks. Will go have a look then, I missed the scroll down for details.