What to do if your vehicle number plate is cloned in South Africa

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Guilty of the traffic violations until you prove your own innocence...
I received a traffic fine about two years ago for my registration number, different vehicle. I just faxed my cars last registration to Green Point Metro and never received a notification again.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I received a traffic fine about two years ago for my registration number, different vehicle. I just faxed my cars last registration to Green Point Metro and never received a notification again.
A long while ago I got a speeding fine from Potchefstroom.

Pointed out the differences between a bakkie and a scooter (which I was driving at that time). Never heard from them again.

Neo_X

Expert Member
i have a better solution if you had your number plate cloned.

go to the closest mall

write down a registration number of a car matching your vehicle in make and colour

go and clone the plates.

problem solved :p

but serious now. if the car driving the cloned plate is exactly the same as yours, how do you prove yourself then?

crackersa

Honorary Master

same happened to me a couple years ago out in Durban, but the Volvo with the cloned plates was in Richards Bay (could even see the hard hat in the back window).

sent through my details, never heard of it again. I wonder what that guy has been up to?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The onus is on the state to prove that you are guilty in criminal cases, not for you to prove that you are innocent. All you have to do is wait for them to take you to court, they will be unable to prove that you are guilty of anything.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Lots of responsibilites for the innocent party.
The same with banking, and pretty much any other 'policy' where personal details (identity) are applied to the service/system. Personally I don't think that the regulations or the governing mechanisms are providing adequate security to individuals/entities, they don’t want to change (in order to improve) the current procedures.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The onus is on the state to prove that you are guilty in criminal cases, not for you to prove that you are innocent. All you have to do is wait for them to take you to court, they will be unable to prove that you are guilty of anything.
Which is your time and travelling expense.

Swartblits

Problem is appearing in court for this will take you away from your job eating at your leave.
Most cases in court get posponed several times.
This is hoping the equally dodgy justice system will be fair to you and your record stays unaffected.

munchies

I keep getting etoll bills for my wifes car. Firstly we live in Durban and the vehicle has never been to JHB. Secondly my wife's car is a Polo and not an 18 wheeler truck which is what is in the photo!

MickZA

Executive Member
Years ago when I lived in Gauteng a couple of SAP officers with a gentleman of a somewhat darker hue in tow knocked on my door and asked if I had given him permission to drive my car. I had a minor heart attack replied "No!" and opened the garage to find my car safely inside.

The cops apologized and said my number had been cloned onto another BMW, I suspect the miscreant had a hard time of it after wasting their time like that :)

Sollie

Executive Member
Years ago when I lived in Gauteng a couple of SAP officers with a gentleman of a somewhat darker hue in tow knocked on my door and asked if I had given him permission to drive my car. I had a minor heart attack replied "No!" and opened the garage to find my car safely inside.

The cops apologized and said my number had been cloned onto another BMW, I suspect the miscreant had a hard time of it after wasting their time like that :)
Love it. Real Youtube moment. Lekker soos 'n cracker :)

... wonders what is happening to a certain gentleman at Telkom ...

spiff

Executive Member
this was on Carte Blanche last week.

a friend of mine almost got caught out with a cloned number plate once - got a hefty fine in the mail, realised immediately that it was not his SLK350 cause he had his black SLK350 tricked out with a full Brabus kit including the rims - went to the traffic department and demanded the photo then dragged them outside to show them the difference!!
never heard from the traffic cops again.

really pisses me off that someone can get away with it and you as the innocent party have to go to the ends of the earth to prove otherwise :mad:

system32

Expert Member
A work mate has his plate cloned - different car.
Let SAPS know, Let SANRAL know.
Still kept getting wrong fines and wrong SANRAL bills.
Eventually, he legally changed to a custom plate.
Problem solved (for now).

eg2505

Honorary Master
all this talk is scaring me now;

my car at a garage now; could they clone my plate while its there?

and ill get hit with a crazy amount for a 18 wheeler truck that I dont drive?
when I drive a toy;

Juzz Wuzz

A work mate has his plate cloned - different car.
Let SAPS know, Let SANRAL know.
Still kept getting wrong fines and wrong SANRAL bills.
Eventually, he legally changed to a custom plate.
Problem solved (for now).
I have a custom plate and it was cloned over a year ago twice in joburg. I got two sets of etoll bills with my licence plate. I have a Black Honda Jazz, the one was a white caravelle and the other a silver bakkie. Both with my custom WP plate on. I've simply ignored the etolls and just shredded them. I'll wait for them to try pursue anything further. I did go to SAPS and they said I'm wasting their time as they are not Joburg SAPS and f*** flying up there to sort it out.

cozinsky

Expert Member
I have a custom plate and it was cloned over a year ago twice in joburg. I got two sets of etoll bills with my licence plate. I have a Black Honda Jazz, the one was a white caravelle and the other a silver bakkie. Both with my custom WP plate on. I've simply ignored the etolls and just shredded them. I'll wait for them to try pursue anything further. I did go to SAPS and they said I'm wasting their time as they are not Joburg SAPS and f*** flying up there to sort it out.
You are making life difficult for yourself. I had a similar situation where one of my motorcycles' number plates were cloned by a big truck. I just phoned Sanral and after I explained the situation to them, I did not receive bills for the truck anymore.

lexis

Sanral said it is not involved in the matter...
And that is the root of the problem. Sanral wants the client to co-operate but at the same time is not even interested in co-operating with the client.