What to do with the braai.co.za domain?

bwkling

I recently registered the braai.co.za domain and need some ideas on what to do with it.

Should I use it purely as a blog or should I look at making it an interactive site with forums and discussions etc.

I does have quite a high google ranking for the word braai.

What CMS should I use? Joomla, wordpress or drupal?

If there are any developers interested in working on this project, I am willing to pay for their services.

bwkling

I forgot to mention that we are in the charcoal business (Ignite Products), so we could use it for the business as well. Please give me your cleverest advise!

midrange

Maybe use it as a "community" site where people can post recipes, photos, etc and flog your products in banners.

*DISCLAIMER*

I don't braai. :)

ILLUDER_com

Hi,

I see you are using the domain www.igniteproducts.co.za as an online store/catalogue of your products...

So why not use braai.co.za to blog braai idea's etc with a forum, competitions etc, all leading back to igniteproducts.co.za, for example you write an article on braaing the perfect wors, with a checklist and write up, some pics etc, then mention by name the products and at the bottom have a stockist section and insert your product from your webstore...

Likewise to all the forum members you can offer a prize of a disposable braai, a months supply of charcoal (based on x amount of braai's per month) etc and do some viral marketing.

I would be willing to work on a proposal after further discussion should you be interested

joeymojo

I would set up a type of a community site, with blog forum etc.

Anthro

Expert Member
Exchange Braai recipies !!!!

Oh wait, "Braai-ing" consists of chucking meat onto a fire and grilling it.. and the beer does the rest

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
chat to the guys at national braai day and see if they don't have any ideas.
imo, sa needs some official braai awards and a judging panel.
you could get other industry players together like checkers and other retailers and turn it into an official braai destination which serves to drive consumer awareness, passion, involvement and loyalty.
you could start it tongue-in cheek, but the point is that it's a cultural behaviour that can be better monetised and could get the buy-in from other retailers.
retailers are always looking for "official endorsements" of their products, and ways to build credibility in consumer's minds, so i'm sure they'd be interested.

S1lv3r H4wK

What about also doing something for the national braai day?

Like the idea about the braai recipies, how about a champion marinade recipie?

Mantis

use it to organise braais. like the "Facebook of braais".

Wait, what's Facebook?

bwkling

Thanks a lot for your excellent advise. What community / social networking / forum platform would you suggest I use. Please also advise, what the best CMS is to do all of this. Thanks again.

bwkling

One more thing... anyone out-there interested in working on this project? (With compensation of course!)

bwkling

Hi,

I see you are using the domain www.igniteproducts.co.za as an online store/catalogue of your products...

So why not use braai.co.za to blog braai idea's etc with a forum, competitions etc, all leading back to igniteproducts.co.za, for example you write an article on braaing the perfect wors, with a checklist and write up, some pics etc, then mention by name the products and at the bottom have a stockist section and insert your product from your webstore...

Likewise to all the forum members you can offer a prize of a disposable braai, a months supply of charcoal (based on x amount of braai's per month) etc and do some viral marketing.

I would be willing to work on a proposal after further discussion should you be interested

That sounds like good advise. I visited you www.illuder.com website and it looks like something we can definitely do with the braai.co.za domain as well. Please send me a proposal.

luxe

Expert Member
Hi,

sounds fine..not sure if you'll actually make any money tho.

If i was randomly typing in www.braai.co.za what would i expect to find is the question you need to answer. Obviously your store, product reviews, add recipes, add stockists of groovy wors / sausages etc, get involved with that dude on here that does all his own chilli sauces (search for his thread), actually SELL BRAAI's , or review them at least, get involved with the Spice manufacturers like Freddy Hirsch and Crown, as they have boerie competitions between the manufacturers every year which is fun, hook up with butchers, and even farmers.

remember that this braai thing gets taken quite seriously in this country, so dont use the seminal URL to offer us charcoal.

good luck.

bwkling

My problem is that I need to start somewhere, so that I have something already running to show to the retailers and spice companies. Will I be able to do all of this with Wordpress or should I get something better? What a bout Joomla?

midrange

My problem is that I need to start somewhere, so that I have something already running to show to the retailers and spice companies. Will I be able to do all of this with Wordpress or should I get something better? What a bout Joomla?

Please don't use Joomla. There are zillions of fans on this forum that love it, but I question their knowledge. Drupal... Drupal!

bwkling

Please don't use Joomla. There are zillions of fans on this forum that love it, but I question their knowledge. Drupal... Drupal!

Does Drupal offer the same flexibility as Joomla? i.e. Are there plugins available to expand the site offering at a later stage such as an online shop etc.?

midrange

Does Drupal offer the same flexibility as Joomla? i.e. Are there plugins available to expand the site offering at a later stage such as an online shop etc.?

There are indeed modules available, and it's infinitely better architected, more secure and far less "clunky". Joomla is popular because it has a pretty little admin section decorated with nice little icons, but despite despite boasting a wealth of plugins, those plugins are terrible implemented/coded, produce awful mark-up and will drive you nuts. Joomla is a designer's solution, Drupal a developer's.

luxe

Expert Member

1. Pay Someone to build it.
2. Learn how to build it.

If you blog, its not professional IMHO - and i wouldnt buy anything from a blog (99% of the time).

bwkling

1. Pay Someone to build it.
2. Learn how to build it.

If you blog, its not professional IMHO - and i wouldnt buy anything from a blog (99% of the time).

I agree. Anyone interested in doing a professional design job for me please respond or pm with a proposal.

midrange

I agree. Anyone interested in doing a professional design job for me please respond or pm with a proposal.

Give me a Python (Django) hosting solution and I'll custom code it for free. Got some time before I re-enter the soul-destroying full-time job market.