What to expect from the Huawei P30

BravoFox

Why do phone manufacturers insist on curved screens? Sure, it looks nice, but durability takes a big knock...

skimread

Honorary Master
I think this year is the year they are testing the upper limit of what people will refuse to pay for flagships.

10X optical zoom is something though. Do I need it. No.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I think this year is the year they are testing the upper limit of what people will refuse to pay for flagships.

And yet the Porsche design sold out at whatever price that went for? Well over 20k if I remember right...
The market is there.

Dolby

Honorary Master

You'd think that, but if you're travelling or want to take photos of sports etc - it'll really comes in handy!

The M20P has among the best pure digital zooms on a mobile (last photo). Usually, they're absolutely worthless - but here it's usable. So if that 10 x zoom rumour is correct, I think it'll be great. People are quick to say 2 or 3 or 4 camera lenses are silly and they don't need them - but the fact I can go away with a small phone and have a 16mm / 27mm / 80mm / 130mm / 270mm / macro and night shots, is very cool.

zoom.jpg

genetic

Honorary Master
You'd think that, but if you're travelling or want to take photos of sports etc - it'll really comes in handy!

The M20P has among the best pure digital zooms on a mobile (last photo). Usually, they're absolutely worthless - but here it's usable. So if that 10 x zoom rumour is correct, I think it'll be great. People are quick to say 2 or 3 or 4 camera lenses are silly and they don't need them - but the fact I can go away with a small phone and have a 16mm / 27mm / 80mm / 130mm / 270mm / macro and night shots, is very cool.

View attachment 629832
Yeah, having different focal lengths on a phone is pretty cool indeed.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Interesting things. I spoke to a person who is organising tour groups across Southern Africa. His clients are coming from US, Israel or Europe. He says that recently very few tourists are carying SLR's. They use just smartphones. If this thrend will continue, only professional photographers will use SLR's.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Interesting things. I spoke to a person who is organising tour groups across Southern Africa. His clients are coming from US, Israel or Europe. He says that recently very few tourists are carying SLR's. They use just smartphones. If this thrend will continue, only professional photographers will use SLR's.
Your friend.is about 10 or 15 years late with his observation and also probably only applies to the incredibly small subset of people who use his services...

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I'm sure that they will be powerful and desirable devices for a lot of people, but not for me. I'm a Samsung person through and through (a fan boy if you will) and looking forward to the Note 11. There's little doubt that I'll acquire one when released next year.

Pandas2

I'm surely getting too old, to me it feels like the P20 was released very recently

H1TMANlol

If the p30 pro is 700 rand a month on contract I'd consider it . Currently the S10 is just overpriced at 900pm (Telkom) for the S10+

genetic

Honorary Master
If the p30 pro is 700 rand a month on contract I'd consider it . Currently the S10 is just overpriced at 900pm (Telkom) for the S10+

Will most likely be R800-900 a month. The P30 Pro will be more expensive than the P20 Pro was at launch.

falcon786

Honorary Master
So it looks like I'll be going to the Chinese dark side,sorry trump ol chap but that 10x optical zoom is something I've yearned for since back in the day when Nokia first made a phone with 3 x optical zoom....I suddenly don't mind multiple cameras on a phone!

Unfortunately I do still however loathe the frikking stupid curved screens please just make the P30 pro a flat AMOLED,leave the curved gimmicks to the p30 plebs if you must!Learn from Apple,Huawei, they're sticking to practical easy to hold and use flat displays instead of gimmicky screens.