What to go for?? Afrihost 4mb Uncapped or Afrihost 100gig Offer

Peppercorns

Hey guys,

So due to Openweb Discontinuing their 4mb After hours uncapped account, I'm going to have to move to a new account at month end. :whistling:

I'm looking for the cheapest alternative for the time being and it seems that with Afrihosts 50% off deal, that's my best option.
Now I can either go for the Afrihost 4mb uncapped option which will cost me R250p/m till December.
OR I can signup for their 100gig capped option @ R475p/m till December

My biggest issue is the speeds on uncapped. If I go for the 100gig option, since its unshaped and on the fibre backbone, I should get full speed out of my 10mb line all the time, at the cost of actually having the 100gig cap on my mind whilst downloading.
I'm not that much of a heavy downloader...I'd say my usage is between 80 - 120gigs a month, which isn't much compared to others out there...

The uncapped option will firstly limit my 10mb to 4mb, and there after there is also the Fair Usage Policies governing all these uncapped accounts.
I currently paid R400 for the uncapped after hours from Openweb, so I will be saving R150p/m buying an uncapped account from Afrihost.
If I go for the 100gig capped option, I will be paying R75 more a month, which would also lead me to considering uncapped 4mb from other providers such as Openweb or Mweb (Since I heard there is very bad shaping/throttling on Afrihost).

Which option would you guys go for? :confused:
If you have an better suggestions...please do tell.. :)

VioAdmin

Expert Member
I suggest you go for MWeb because Afrihost used IS as the backbone and IS is by far the worst backbone in the country. I believe Mweb will feature 10mbps plans in October(maybe?).

Afrihost has some issues they have to fix especially the fair usage policiy. I still hear stories people getting throttled/shaped just after 30GIGs. I don't think you should go with them...

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
Afrihost has some issues they have to fix especially the fair usage policiy. I still hear stories people getting throttled/shaped just after 30GIGs. I don't think you should go with them...
Halve that 30Gb and you are more accurate!!!

Alestorm

Expert Member
Capped if 100GB is all you need. You can always change later if you start using more bandwidth, but capped performance will be better and no daytime shaping is great.

w1tw0lf

I am on afrihost and have been averaging about 400kB/s downloads on a 4mbps line. On a capped 20gb(extra 20gb till year end) account and love it. But beware it looks like they monitor packets, downloaded a torrent as a test an they send me and email warning me about abuse and saying they gona suspend my account. Worst of it all, they knew exactly what i was downloading. Makes me wonder a bit about what they know what i am doing on my account.

Peppercorns

Thanks for the input!

I think I'm going to go for the 100gig Cap option then, I will try it out for a month. If I have any problems I'll change the following month.
I only intend to keep the account until December anyway if I go for the 100gig option. I'll be keeping a lookout for some new, hopefully better offers for uncapped in the meantime.
I just wish there was another "4mb After hours uncapped" offer out there.

I know SAINET offer it, but I see that its apparently 'Sold out.'

saliehendricks

I am on the 100Gb cap on my 5Mbps line. No worries and no issues. If i reach my cap - then i can make use of the 3 for 1 special...or if u dont mind changing ur router setting just sign up for another 20Gb account - R4 odd per unshaped gig can't be beaten when using a 10Mbps line.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Thanks for the input!

I think I'm going to go for the 100gig Cap option then,
I see the 100gig option at R950...? What am I missing here...? 4 days ago I subscribed to a 4mb uncapped package and have been charged R167 pro rata to the end of the month so how do you get to R250 for the 4mb uncapped option? Or have I been over charged?

EDIT: Damn it!!! Okay I see I needed to sign up via the 50% off link..

Last edited:

uberutang

Uncapped is cheaper than a 100 gig cap?

Mmmm, that does not seem right at all...

Peppercorns

Yeah uncapped is almost half the price of the capped option in this case...
You just got to take Fair Usage Policies into account...as well as the reliability of the connection....which seems to be quite shoddy for these uncapped accounts all round..

kiepie

Executive Member
I see the 100gig option at R950...? What am I missing here...? 4 days ago I subscribed to a 4mb uncapped package and have been charged R167 pro rata to the end of the month so how do you get to R250 for the 4mb uncapped option? Or have I been over charged?

EDIT: Damn it!!! Okay I see I needed to sign up via the 50% off link..
Did you get your 50% off, or should you have signed up for the link before hand?