What type of router do you get with Cool Ideas

Johand

Expert Member
Vumatel is rolling out fibre to our complex (they just finished digging up my driveway today :) and I am getting fibre!

So looking at ISPs everybody seem to rave about Cool Ideas ... I just have one question - what kind of router do they provide?

I have a enterprise grade gigabit switch for my LAN but my WLAN/ADSL router is only a cheapie. Is the Cool Ideas router solid or do I have to plan getting a proper one with 802.11ac Wifi for myself rather ?

I am starting with a 100Mbps with plans to upgrade later.

ghostR

Executive Member
their Router on 100mbps and below is a entry level one, but you can still get it and use it as you please as a switch, or extra wireless AP etc, you will probably have to get a decent ac wireless router/AP though.

Johand

Expert Member
Thanks -- definitely have to get my own router then. The TP-Link WR840N is a bit lightweight - . I will look for something with gigabit ports. Probably won't make sense to use the provided one at all then.

I am a bit surprised they only use a 100Mbps port router for the 100Mbps account - I was under the impression Vumatel slightly over provision the line to make up for overhead, but if you only have a 100Mbps router then you obviously won't get the advantage of it .Might be wrong about that , but in general I want to make sure that equipment under my control is in nowhere near being the bottleneck. Besides I don't want local LAN/WLAN traffic between my PC and other nodes to affect my internet speed... imagine copying a file from my laptop on wifi to my desktop and then suddenly my internet on my desktop gets slower because of the 100Mbps between me and the router...

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Thanks -- definitely have to get my own router then. The TP-Link WR840N is a bit lightweight - . I will look for something with gigabit ports. Probably won't make sense to use the provided one at all then.

I am a bit surprised they only use a 100Mbps port router for the 100Mbps account - I was under the impression Vumatel slightly over provision the line to make up for overhead, but if you only have a 100Mbps router then you obviously won't get the advantage of it .Might be wrong about that , but in general I want to make sure that equipment under my control is in nowhere near being the bottleneck. Besides I don't want local LAN/WLAN traffic between my PC and other nodes to affect my internet speed... imagine copying a file from my laptop on wifi to my desktop and then suddenly my internet on my desktop gets slower because of the 100Mbps between me and the router...

Well it's a simple business case, for us to supply a gigabit router the cost overhead is about double that of a 100Mbps router which can route 100Mbps, Vumatel don't over-provision their services but because it's layer3 and not encapsulated with a PPPoE session you get a bit more throughput on a Gbps port.

Also to stock specific routers for specific services and services provider is a logistical nightmare which is why we offer 2.

Johand

Expert Member
Well it's a simple business case, for us to supply a gigabit router the cost overhead is about double that of a 100Mbps router which can route 100Mbps, Vumatel don't over-provision their services but because it's layer3 and not encapsulated with a PPPoE session you get a bit more throughput on a Gbps port.

Also to stock specific routers for specific services and services provider is a logistical nightmare which is why we offer 2.

Awesome. I have no problem with that - as long as I know I can get my own router. I assume the Tp-Link C7 would do nicely.