What Vodacom, MTN, and Telkom employees really know about their networks

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Pretty much as expected. Answers weren't necessarily wrong and sales staff aren't tech staff, but the 5G LTE vs 4G LTE answer from Telkom is just wrong. He might have been alluding to LTE-A. LTE-A is closer to true 4G. Neither LTE or LTE-A deliver true 4G speeds in reality.

Swa

Honorary Master
Well that's like asking how long is a piece of string. Fibre is as fast as you want it to be. LTE is faster than Vuma's 4Mb however so it depends. With enough spectrum LTE can even compete with 1Gb.

Visser

Expert Member
Without reading the article, I would guess pretty much nothing... and I know why.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Well that's like asking how long is a piece of string. Fibre is as fast as you want it to be. LTE is faster than Vuma's 4Mb however so it depends. With enough spectrum LTE can even compete with 1Gb.

Yea I agree.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Pretty crappy questions.

Question 2 especially is entirely circumstantial and open ended depending on what fibre it's being compared to.

Question 3 will also depend entirely on a given device, location and congestion and will have vastly different answers based on that.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Fibre theoretically is faster than LTE but it depends what speeds are being compared. LTE will almost always be faster than a 10Mbps fibre line and in my case my LTE is ALWAYS faster than a 50Mbps fibre line on download speeds. LTE and LTE-A has some crazy theoretical max speeds given enough spectrum.

Wasabee!

Executive Member
Fibre theoretically is faster than LTE but it depends what speeds are being compared. LTE will almost always be faster than a 10Mbps fibre line and in my case my LTE is ALWAYS faster than a 50Mbps fibre line on download speeds. LTE and LTE-A has some crazy theoretical max speeds given enough spectrum.
Not just last mile speeds; contention ratio, ISP IPC breakout, peering connections, core equipment etc etc etc.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Not just last mile speeds; contention ratio, ISP IPC breakout, peering connections, core equipment etc etc etc.

Not sure what you mean. Towers are backed with fibre. It's actually just the last mile that matters for comparison. If you want to compare fibre from Cool Ideas vs LTE from Telkom obviously it will be different. If you had compared fibre from cool ideas and LTE offered on Cool Ideas own network then it would be essentially the same.

HPZA

The verdict...Telkom always has the correct answer.....but never the solution.lol