What we'd like to see from the PlayStation 5

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
R12k is my guess at launch.
Probably closer to 10k, but with the shorter lifecycles, consoles are becoming far less attractive.

The Pro and X have barely been on the market for 2 years and they're already releasing the next gen. Why did they even bother releasing them, instead of just waiting for the next gen?

Solitude

Expert Member
The Pro and X have barely been on the market for 2 years and they're already releasing the next gen. Why did they even bother releasing them, instead of just waiting for the next gen?
Because they knew that people like you and me will buy them.

Stevewarren

It will be $499 at most and what that translates to in Rands in 2020 is anyone's guess and you ain't getting 2TB NAND storage and the 8k support is probably only in regards to the HDMI standard they will use.

genetic

Honorary Master
It will be $499 at most and what that translates to in Rands in 2020 is anyone's guess and you ain't getting 2TB NAND storage and the 8k support is probably only in regards to the HDMI standard they will use.
This.
You are not going to see desktop graphics performance and 8K gaming on the PS5. You'd be lucky to even get 4K60p consistent. The PS5 will probably use a lot of upscaling trickery and lower quality textures to maintain 4K60p.

$499 ain't going to buy you RTX2080 performance.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Because they knew that people like you and me will buy them.
I'll be happy if MS can get their streaming service running and compatible with the X.

The main concern for me right now is reports of GTA 6 only being available on the next gen. If I can stream it on the X then there's no reason for me to upgrade any time soon...

Stevewarren

This.
You are not going to see desktop graphics performance and 8K gaming on the PS5. You'd be lucky to even get 4K60p consistent. The PS5 will probably use a lot of upscaling trickery and lower quality textures to maintain 4K60p.

$499 ain't going to buy you RTX2080 performance.
Yup and going native 4k is a waste of resources anyways. I expect a lot of games to be 2k using some kind of temporal upscaling.

Nerhzelok

Expert Member
Probably closer to 10k, but with the shorter lifecycles, consoles are becoming far less attractive.

The pro and X aren’t next gen consoles. They’re revisions of the same consoles and offered a new feature (4K output, and later, optionally, better frame rates).

Edit: They probably saw the need for a device that can output to 4K with little performance loss and.... probably could make a good amount of money from it to fund the PS5? Anyways... it’s a luxury device... people who want it will buy it. Those who don’t, won’t.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
I have the PS4 Pro ... really not the price difference over the regular PS4.

Will save eBcuks for the 5 :)

Enough processing for true 4K gaming and 8K media would be awesome.

A UHD Blu Ray player would be nice, but I see that disappearing for internal SSD.

USB C

Backward compatibility all the way back to the PS1 would be cool too.

Swa

Honorary Master

The Pro and X weren't intended to be replacements but rather revisions for people with no console. Makes sense in that there's little development and high return.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
The Pro and X weren't intended to be replacements but rather revisions for people with no console. Makes sense in that there's little development and high return.
The revisions were the Slim and S.

The Pro and X were high performance versions of their base consoles. We know they were not next gen.

The point is they shouldn't have bothered with them, if the next gen was going to be released only 3 years later.

Many of us bought them thinking it would add longevity to the current gen, which is obviously not the case now...