What will happen to the Rand in 2020?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
What do you think will happen to the Rand in 2020? Do you think it will strengthen or weaken, and why do you think it will happen?

Praemon

Expert Member
Depends what comes out of the budget speech. If there's no clear sign that any kind of action will be taken to improve the economy and curb debt, then it will continue to slide. Moody's will then likely downgrade SA in March. If that happens, we'll be around the R16-R16.50/USD probably. But it should settle around R15.50 - R16 mark, I reckon.

If there's some positive feedback from the budget speech and Moody's holds off downgrading in March, it could then bounce back to the R14 range until the next decision date (I think November?). But since the ZAR is influenced by so many outside forces, it's near impossible to know what will actually happen.

Rabobi

Executive Member
A weight lifter in Macedonia will stub his toe. This will result in a drop in the Rand against most major currencies. That's how fickle our currency is.

A moody's downgrade will destroy it

Drifter

Honorary Master
I dont think there can be any doubt that we will be downgraded.

Sarg3_ZN

After the downgrade, the Rand will start to get to the R 20 to the dollar mark and then who knows what further havoc the governments policies and interventions will cause.

Drifter

Honorary Master
I dont think so. The markets have already factored in a downgrade.

Cius

Executive Member
Well, the market is expecting financial collapse judging by banking share prices.

3WA

Executive Member
Sanders to win US election, by December we'll be $4 to the rand.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The budget speech is going to be the decider. Downgrade to junk status in march and we will in big trouble.
Down is the only path right now.

Alexandre Guambe

The rand is likely to weaken back up to R15,16 against the dollar by the end of the first quarter and reach R16,13 by year end

ishmayeli

What do you think will happen to the Rand in 2020? Do you think it will strengthen or weaken, and why do you think it will happen?
IT WILL WEAKEN BECAUSE THE COUNTRY IS GOING DOWNHILL NO WORK AND ASLO THIS LAODSHEDDING BROBLEM