What would attract you to a position in East London?

AntiThesis

Executive Member
So, let's say for arguments sake, I was hypothetically looking for people for a large multinational - but the job was based in East London :giggle: and I was trying to figure out a good way to attract excellent talent :)

Competitive salary, pretty decent benefits:
  • Medical Aid
  • Prov. Fund
  • Gym
  • Biokineticist/Sports Massage
  • Canteen
  • Actual career growth
  • Free access to Udemy etc
  • Very interesting and challenging work (I'm not in HR, this is not a synonym for "crappy" as is most often true)

What would push you away or pull you towards it?

I'm curious to find out whether it would, for example, be something like:
  • company culture
  • whether the work is interesting
  • office appearance
  • hours
  • flexibility
This is interesting to me mainly because I recognise that we're playing in the field with Google, Amazon and Microsoft so figuring out what people are actually drawn to is important - the cookie cutter approach of posting on job boards doesn't necessarily work well.

AntiThesis

Executive Member

You know, that's a recurring theme :D And I get it - but is there a balance? Like, I know it would take $$$$$$ for me to work at a place I didn't enjoy but probably only $$$$ to work somewhere that was a great fit. Cash is ultimately king though.

konfab

Honorary Master
1) Prove to a prospective candidate that the people who they will be working for are actually competent and won't make their lives more difficult because of stupid ego problems.
2) Salary

Having a good boss is worth about 2/3 of your salary IMO. In other words, if you want to poach someone from a place where they have a boss who they like, you will need to pay them at least 1.5 times their current salary. And that is before you have to wrench them away from a job that they might actually like and is close to their home.

shadow_man

Executive Member
I'd totally considering moving to EL for a decent salary, and a lower cost of living.

If you're looking for a Linux / Cloud / DevOps engineer then I'd be happy to chat ;)

For me, the big drivers are:

- Interesting work

- Continuous education, do you care about my growth? (or are you going to just burn me out, and hire the next guy)

-Work hours (am I taking work home with me all the time, or does work end when I end) + actual good working hours so I don't spend my life in traffic.

- Good salary / perks (medical aid / pension / internet / disability cover / death benefit / gym / coffee / lunch are relatively standard in the tech world)

- Flexibility to work from when needed (e.g. builder is on site or car needs mechanic etc etc)

- Company culture (but this is the hardest to suss from the outside, as everyone says IT'S AWESOME - when they often mean IT'S TOXIC!)

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
To East London, South Africa? As in Slummies? As in not the East portion of London, United Kingdom?

You could only sell it on quality of life. Offer relocation assistance - that will help.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
- Continuous education, do you care about my growth? (or are you going to just burn me out, and hire the next guy)
- Company culture (but this is the hardest to suss from the outside, as everyone says IT'S AWESOME - when they often mean IT'S TOXIC!)

These for me are honestly the two most important and coincidentally the two that you cannot lie about for any period of time. Without good culture you die. It's something that we're trying to get right and are turning the corner on. Not that it's toxic, far from it - it's more that it's a blank slate and we get to define it right now.

To East London, South Africa? As in Slummies? As in not the East portion of London, United Kingdom?
You could only sell it on quality of life. Offer relocation assistance - that will help.

That's the one :D East London, South Africa. Beautiful place, good family life, cheap cost of living. But yeah, if you're into city life you may struggle a bit.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
What kind of opportunity? Do you mean career growth wise or just a switch in what you're currently doing?
Perhaps both.. i am sure there are lenty people looking for an opportunity to just shift . try something new and exciting
also we want fair treatment and fair opportunity to move up in life

cguy

Executive Member
Interesting work and salary. This usually correlated with everything else - better bosses, better work culture, better perks, etc.

The problem is that many companies really do not offer the above. “Competitive salaries” are really “What we think we can get away with”, and interesting and challenging work is actually “The current codebase is a shitshow because we previously hired people who would work for ‘What we thought we could get away with’”.

schuits

Expert Member
Remote work is very attractive yeah.
I'm getting really really tired of commuting, so any job that offers the opportunity to reduce commuting time would be great.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
100% Remote.

Many large companies hiring full time remotely https://remoteok.io/

It's weird how slow companies in SA are to embrace remote work. It's becoming something of the norm in many other countries but we seem to have either an implicit mistrust of our workers or just lack the vision in many companies to actually implement it.

Interesting work and salary. This usually correlated with everything else - better bosses, better work culture, better perks, etc.

The problem is that many companies really do not offer the above. “Competitive salaries” are really “What we think we can get away with”, and interesting and challenging work is actually “The current codebase is a shitshow because we previously hired people who would work for ‘What we thought we could get away with’”.

100% right. That's why I dislike it when I see that wording in job adverts. It always makes me a little worried that someone, somewhere is trying to sweep something under a rug. Fortunately, in this case (hypothetically), the work really is interesting and challenging in a good way :)

Remote work is very attractive yeah.
I'm getting really really tired of commuting, so any job that offers the opportunity to reduce commuting time would be great.

Well, there are commutes and commutes - a long commute in EL is 25 minutes (mine)

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I'm going to be honest - I think it will be very difficult.

If you work for Google, Amazon, Microsoft or Facebook, you'll be fine, but then you wouldn't be asking this if you were.

If I'm a software developer and somebody wants me to move to a small town for a job, the first thing that comes to mind is that it is a dead end. If the job doesn't work out and I want to leave in 2 years, I have to move to a different city. It is a giant PITA. For all jobs except things like Google etc, I wouldn't do it.

I'd consider it if I was a bit older and looking to retire at the coast. You're a bit more mature by then, and can handle working in a job you don't absolutely love in exchange for living at the coast. But, older people are also more expensive.

I'd base your company elsewhere unless I had no other choice.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
For me it would be
Salary + perks.
Environment, it needs to be a chilled environment but with active management.
Growth in the company, I am currently in a dead end position at the moment, and its incredibly frustrating.

The location for me personally would actually be a good thing. This city hustle and bustle is a killer.

bridgeburner

At the end of the day, we all work for the amount that comes into our account at the end of the month. So salary for me. Med aid and prov fund is pretty standard so I won't count that. Company culture plays a role but I think most of the other stuff (like free beer on Fridays) is just sundry.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
At the end of the day, we all work for the amount that comes into our account at the end of the month. So salary for me. Med aid and prov fund is pretty standard so I won't count that. Company culture plays a role but I think most of the other stuff (like free beer on Fridays) is just sundry.

But don't you love those interview questions that go "Why do you want to work here?" and you're not supposed to answer "Because I like to eat food and be able to afford a house" :D

Smugs

Expert Member
East London..??? :ROFL: :laugh: You gotta be kidding. I'm so glad I left that place..