What would attract you to a position in East London?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
But don't you love those interview questions that go "Why do you want to work here?" and you're not supposed to answer "Because I like to eat food and be able to afford a house" :D

The best is when THEY headhunt YOU and then ask you why you want to leave your old job.

lowriderza

Expert Member
As somebody living in Gauteng I would move to a safer area with cleaner air and an excellent pension fund.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Unless you mean the one in the northern hemisphere, fokol.

And even then, not much would attract me

Cube3

Expert Member
$$$ / MSP with interesting clients to work with / Azure related work

Been with my current company almost 6 years and everything is good, but more $$$ is always great.

John Tempus

Executive Member
Relaxed environments is usually the trade-off in place of a higher salary.

If you remove all the hokus pokus gym,table tennis,pool lobby,canteen and rather make the environment plain and simple you-do-work and you-get-paid-alot just about everyone would go for it.

The only requirement in a high paying job is to let people do their job without any abusive management breathing down your neck. All these extra perks only end up being distractions at essentially one time cost to the company and a permanent reduction in average salary for all employees ie. Only the company win doing this on their bottom line.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
If you could offer real, demonstratable career growth that would be good; something tangible with targets. Everyone says they offer career growth but how? where? when? what do you have to do? I've spent my whole career creating my own career growth because many companies offer career growth by someone else leaving or dying even though they said it was an option. Many companies lose their best staff because they also don't promote quick enough. Often times other companies will pick up on a persons skill and swoop in and take them and promote them because you are waiting for the next financial year.

The job being in EL may work for you and may work against you. Some might not want to move to the middle of nowhere, others may see it as an escape from crime, the big city etc. You may have better results offering a relocation package.

Cash is king so a good salary is the obvious go to. Over and above that don't fall for the gimmick of pool table/table tennis in the office. If anything there will be one or two people that do use it to the detriment of all others. Other people may like these gimmicky things but talking from my own personal experience getting a decent coffee machine with free coffee, tea, hot chocolate, hot/cold water works well. Also make sure you have a good stock of sugar and milk. Worked for a place that was paying each member of staff on average $100k a year yet would only cough up for 1 litre of milk a week for an office of 25 people. I understand these costs can add up but the amount you are paying for everything else it probably pales in comparison. Other things that seem to be appreciated is fresh fruit. Possibly not a big thing in SA but in Aus many offices get fresh fruit delivered once or twice a week and it disappears pretty quickly. Also, cutlery and crockery. Please for the love of god make sure that there is an excess of knives, forks, spoons, plates, mugs, bowls and especially teaspoons... lots and lots of teaspoons! If you are running a reasonable sized office get a domestic. People can't be trusted to maintain a decent quality of hygiene to keep all staff satisfied (yes this can lead to major nastiness) but if you can afford a few thousand to hire someone that walks around to collect empty mugs, load a dishwasher and/or clean stuff in the sink and generally maintain order and cleanliness then you're on to a winner. This is generally only practical when you have about 40-50 or more staff on the floor though and I'm not sure the size of your operation.

A good work culture and team is good and can go a long way. In my previous job I worked with a great team and it's the only place I've worked where I've actually gone back to see the old team and have lunch etc. The environment definitely wasn't for everyone but it was very relaxed where everyone did what they wanted as everything was based on results not looking busy.

Flexibility is key too. I now work 4-5 days from home and this gives me the ability to do what I need when I need. This obviously may not be a realistic offering in your case but I definitely find that it helps. In most cases I get up same time as when my GF goes to work but now that she is on holiday I get up a bit later which ties in nicely. I also find I work best in the evenings so I sometimes work from 8/9 am til lunch and then 7/9pm til midnight depending on what I'm doing that evening.

Urist

Expert Member
The ocean will do it for me. will work for less than I get now.

creeper

Executive Member
EL is the redheaded step child PE keeps locked up in the basement.

On a more serious discussion. EL isn’t great if you grow up there. There isn’t much to do and if you cause trouble, the people know who your parents are. For a parent, it is a better place. Clean air, open areas, crime is relatively low and lots of exercise things to do for the kids. Career wise, if you want to climb the corporate ladder, it isn’t the place. But most of my friends are happy staying there and make a good living.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
@OP, work-life balance. Money is money, corporate culture is corporate culture, blah, blah, blah, it's all the same bullshit. All that matters is if you get treated like you work to live and not live to work.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
It's weird how slow companies in SA are to embrace remote work. It's becoming something of the norm in many other countries but we seem to have either an implicit mistrust of our workers or just lack the vision in many companies to actually implement it.

The best developers probably wouldn't want to live in East London either, hence, when you hire remotely you will attract more talent from anywhere.

There's huge million dollar Tech companies that doesn't even have a physical office, with employees all around the world.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Thanks guys :) Appreciate the feedback. This is an open topic with HR (hypothetically). If it's interesting to you and you want to know the background, please send me a PM and we'll talk :) Look out for hypothetical job adverts in the near future if you are interested though ;)

AntiThesis

Executive Member
The best developers probably wouldn't want to live in East London either, hence, when you hire remotely you will attract more talent from anywhere.

There's huge million dollar Tech companies that doesn't even have a physical office, with employees all around the world.

Remote work is 100% in the discussion. It's just quite a mind shift for people to figure out what they want to do and what they need to do in order to get stuff done.