What would attract you to a position in East London?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It's going to be $$$. How much?

I'd want to maintain the same lifestyle I have now in JHB. So I'd want a similar house with similar fittings/features and have the same disposable income left at the end of the month. Obviously the property there is cheaper than here so to maintain the same lifestyle it would cost less.

Then the wife would need to find work. So take the above but x2.

All those benefits are nice but if you're willing to structure my salary to take into account an RA I contribute to (or better yet, provide a pension fund with10x/Sygnia) then the rest is just "fluff" I can pay for myself.

...and then we're talking increases, moving cost assistance and lack of future options. If things were to go sour between us I'd probably need to uproot and move back to JHB.

----

To be honest, if there was a real life opportunity, I probably wouldn't consider it all unless it was for a very high salary. Anything less I can probably find here so why move...

But this is from my perspective and the type of work I do. You're probably not looking for a guy like me anyway so whatever :D

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Remote work is 100% in the discussion. It's just quite a mind shift for people to figure out what they want to do and what they need to do in order to get stuff done.
Remote work in principle is not all that dissimilar from contracted work; the exception is the nature of the engagement, for example: whether its permanent or a fixed term contract. In all cases; there would typically be a period of on site induction; to meet team members, familiarisation with procedures, etc.

Remote work is naturally not everyone's cup of tea; and its effectiveness is by in large a reflection of the experience and maturity of the individual; it's less likely that a junior or intermediate developer would be an appropriate fit for this. That being said; there is a growing trend of companies (in USA and Europe) that are employing remote developers, including a growing number that only employ remote developers.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
for me it would have to involve moving costs and the lot, and some sort of gaurentee which understandably is hard

Dan C

Honorary Master
It's going to be $$$. How much?

I'd want to maintain the same lifestyle I have now in JHB. So I'd want a similar house with similar fittings/features and have the same disposable income left at the end of the month. Obviously the property there is cheaper than here so to maintain the same lifestyle it would cost less.
Property is most likely more expensive than JHB.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
PE and EL are basically large towns. My mother was telling back In December there was a guy from either PE or EL who was totally befuddled by the Kiosk you pay for parking.

Dan C

Honorary Master
PE and EL are basically large towns. My mother was telling back In December there was a guy from either PE or EL who was totally befuddled by the Kiosk you pay for parking.
either PE or EL ? That's a good 300km + apart from each other. That's like saying the guy could be from Klerksdorp or Boksburg.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Except they're both cities.

And we know how to park.

And East Londoners know how traffic circles work, which for SA is pretty damn impressive.

bromster

Executive Member
Buy a property and rent rooms to staff. This would make moving house a little easier if it can be arranged in advance.

Be a nice boss.

Work from home once a week.

Promote socials outside of work. Date, time, whoever wants to join, regardless of seniority or position, is welcome.

Knyro

PhD in Everything
either PE or EL ? That's a good 300km + apart from each other. That's like saying the guy could be from Klerksdorp or Boksburg.

Like it was pointed out earlier, same thing for the majority of Saffers. Who cares what the difference between the two is? :p

TedLasso

Expert Member
I ll take the job. Pm me .. i love EL, everything is 10 mins away ..

Myrrdin

Expert Member
So, let's say for arguments sake, I was hypothetically looking for people for a large multinational - but the job was based in East London :giggle: and I was trying to figure out a good way to attract excellent talent :)

Competitive salary, pretty decent benefits:
  • Medical Aid
  • Prov. Fund
  • Gym
  • Biokineticist/Sports Massage
  • Canteen
  • Actual career growth
  • Free access to Udemy etc
  • Very interesting and challenging work (I'm not in HR, this is not a synonym for "crappy" as is most often true)

What would push you away or pull you towards it?

I'm curious to find out whether it would, for example, be something like:
  • company culture
  • whether the work is interesting
  • office appearance
  • hours
  • flexibility
This is interesting to me mainly because I recognise that we're playing in the field with Google, Amazon and Microsoft so figuring out what people are actually drawn to is important - the cookie cutter approach of posting on job boards doesn't necessarily work well.

I am 52 years old and have been in the industry for a long time. For me the number one priority is that the company I work for sees me as a valued asset with ideas and more a partnership than a job. Working for a company where there is a defined 2 to 3 year plan with a clear, realistic understanding of the roadmap to achieve those goals.

• Medical Aid - Haven't had medical aid for years (We can discuss my disgust with the medical industry if you want)
  • Prov. Fund - Yes
  • Gym - Not so much
  • Biokineticist/Sports Massage - No dont care
  • Canteen - Depends if the canteen actually provide healthy options. Toasted sandwiches etc not so much
  • Actual career growth - Refer to my initial comment. If you see me as a partner agreed career growth should be automatic
  • Free access to Udemy etc - Cool
  • Very interesting and challenging work (I'm not in HR, this is not a synonym for "crappy" as is most often true) - From my side if you have clear goals and achievements which are recognized it will be interesting
  • company culture - Yes
  • whether the work is interesting - Yes
  • office appearance - Yes (I know the current trend is for open plan offices so an actual office where I can express my personality would be a mayor pull)
  • hours - I personally have never been the type to switch off at 5 and switch on at 8 so I like an environment where delivery is more important than hours spent on site
  • flexibility - Refer to partnership
  • location - Not so much
  • Fibre

MEIOT

Expert Member
It's EL - so ...absolutely nothing is the answer to the question.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
<remote work stuff>
Look, Remote work is definitely going to have to be part of it going forward. The growth that will happen in the next year or two will far outstrip any fancy tricks I can pull or local capacity. It's changing people's minds that's the tough bit.
for me it would have to involve moving costs and the lot, and some sort of gaurentee which understandably is hard
I mean, beyond a 12 month guarantee in the form of a contract, I'm not sure how you guarantee longer term. I don't know that I'd trust "potential" from most companies but at least we're big.
I doubt it (Fourways etc) but anything is possible.
That's actually interesting - I wonder if that should form some part of the data pack. So an average house here at the moment is about R1.1 for a 4 bedroom in a good area, about 900sqm yard. Depending on where you live, goes down or up obviously. Mine was R760k for 5 bedroom.
More leave
How much leave do you currently get? We scale from 18-35

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I mean, beyond a 12 month guarantee in the form of a contract, I'm not sure how you guarantee longer term. I don't know that I'd trust "potential" from most companies but at least we're big.

I hear you, I get it isn't a simple feat. To attract fairly senior guys in general it would be a massive commitment for them to move in terms of their position in life is all.