What would it take to get you to pay your TV license?

What would it take to get you to pay your TV license?

• Better programming

Votes: 77 13.4%
  • Less political influence/More independence

Votes: 92 16.1%
  • Nothing, we don't need a public broadcaster

Votes: 307 53.6%
  • I pay my license annually

Votes: 172 30.0%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters

rambo919

Honorary Master
Is that not how it works in the rest of the world?
A public broadcaster is needed for the masses that can't afford netflix or dstv, but there is no need for a tv licence.
They are not my problem, I see no need to subsidize their entertainment or propaganda. If you want to watch the garbage that is national broadcasting you can pay for it, don't force me to pay your way for you.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Im wondering how long it will be before the SABC starts going after car owners for having radio's that can receive a signal.
Their radio stations are part of the same organization so I can imagine that is something they would do.

akescpt

Honorary Master
i was also f@#k this license..then my tv broke recently...and i couldn't buy one with my tv license in arrears...
/
and we stream and get content from the high seas...do you get tvs without a tuner?

rietrot

Honorary Master
i was also f@#k this license..then my tv broke recently...and i couldn't buy one with my tv license in arrears...
/
and we stream and get content from the high seas...do you get tvs without a tuner?
You need one license in your entire family or circle of friends in order to buy new tvs.

I'm also sure theirs other seller that don't care as much about a tv license like the big name brand stores.

Budza

Executive Member
Is that not how it works in the rest of the world?
A public broadcaster is needed for the masses that can't afford netflix or dstv, but there is no need for a tv licence.

That'll end up with ads like this:

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Voted "better content" but we are coming from such a low base that frankly it is meaningless.

What I mean is something akin to BBC Four. That might be worth supporting, either way it should be strictly opt-in.

Magnum

Executive Member
Other: If I was actually using the SABC's infrastructure, which I don't. My TV isn't even connected to an aerial. Its connected to my PC and I stream/surf the high seas.
I have a Cannonball for you HAR HAR...

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Pay my license yearly, not that I or any of my family watch anything they broadcast, on TV or Radio, just because, it is a schlep to cancel, and is useful in helping other family members buy a TV without forcing them into the TV lisence "trap" ....

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Making it voluntary, and then having some good content that I actually want to watch on SABC.

Sould be quite easy. There's plenty of second rate sport that they can go and film and show live.
So Rugby Cricket and Soccer are second rate sports?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Nothing, because I don’t use the services at all and see no reason why I should be paying for something I do not use.

I do pay it under duress because their bloody nagging messages annoy me too much eventually.