What would it take to get you to pay your TV license?

What would it take to get you to pay your TV license?

• Better programming

Votes: 77 13.4%
  • Less political influence/More independence

Votes: 92 16.1%
  • Nothing, we don't need a public broadcaster

Votes: 307 53.6%
  • I pay my license annually

Votes: 172 30.0%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
:unsure:Shocked at the people that voted above and below me

View attachment 923643
Shocked at how many members of myBB are not law abiding citizens.

Nothing, because I don’t use the services at all and see no reason why I should be paying for something I do not use.

I do pay it under duress because their bloody nagging messages annoy me too much eventually.
No , you pay because it is the law and at R 265 per year it is nothing compared to how much most spend on any of their other vices.

Most of the people who debate this topic are just proving how susceptible they are to peer pressure and wanting to be part of the crowd, which means they are all just sheeple. IMG-20200929-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No , you pay because it is the law and at R 265 per year it is nothing compared to how much most spend on any of their other vices.

Just because it’s a law doesn’t make it logical or right.

Apartheid was also a law.

If I actually used the thing for any of the services offered I would have no issue paying it. I literally do not have an aerial connected to anything.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Shocked at how many members if myBB are not law abiding citizens.

Then you are going to be shocked at all the other far more serious laws people ignore.

Law abiding (to the letter) either doesn’t exist or is an extreme minority.

Brian_G

Executive Member
(Without reading the whole thread re repeating)

Firstly the licensing system is supposed to have been replaced with an alternative already. But anyway the criminals at SABC charge insane HUGE "interest" amounts on late payments which is completely illegal, until that is removed they can't hope to settle with my family.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
(Without reading the whole thread re repeating)
Firstly the system is supposed to have been replaced already, and the criminals at SABC charge insane "interest" on late payments which is completely illegal. Until that is removed they can't hope to settle with my family.
So you'd pay if they offered amnesty for unpaid years?

chrisc

Honorary Master
Its cheap enough, so I pay

What is irritating is to receive a call from someone (I assume the SABC) telling me I am in arrears. I quote my ID number and the licence receipt, to be told that belongs to someone else

Been going on for 5 or 6 years now. A phone call about 4 times a year

In 2015 my wife started getting phone calls. Their first question is if you have a TV in the house. Then they say there is no licence on record. She states it is in my name, recites my ID and they are happy. But in 2019 it went one step further and she was asked to download some form, complete it and return it. She refused

They can really waste everyone's time

Brian_G

Executive Member
So you'd pay if they offered amnesty for unpaid years?
Nope... hoping the system changes first ;-)

More seriously though, all they need to do is only work with legal interest and I would be willing IF I can then afford it.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Its cheap enough, so I pay

What is irritating is to receive a call from someone (I assume the SABC) telling me I am in arrears. I quote my ID number and the licence receipt, to be told that belongs to someone else

Been going on for 5 or 6 years now. A phone call about 4 times a year

In 2015 my wife started getting phone calls. Their first question is if you have a TV in the house. Then they say there is no licence on record. She states it is in my name, recites my ID and they are happy. But in 2019 it went one step further and she was asked to download some form, complete it and return it. She refused

They can really waste everyone's time
Not sure I would offer up my ID number to anyone claiming to be from anyone, let alone SABC.

If I had an ID number that is.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
The fact that I never ever watch any broadcasted channel and not subscribing to Dstv, having to pay a fee is unreasonable. I don't even follow any of their radio stations.

A public broadcaster means little in my world. Their platform is abused by the ruling party, it is a liability to the tax payer and should be desolved as soon as possible.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Perhaps the biggest problem is that SABC are collecting the fees themselves, if it must continue it should be a separate and neutral organisation.
But this is Safrica...

decmila

I pay mine very reluctantly and the only reason I have a license is due to the fact that I have bought multiple tv's over the past 13 years, even for 2 friends who had no license. I reckon to get it cancelled will be such an admin intensive task with affidavits etc and when it is time to buy a new tv one day then you need to get a license so what the hell I just pay it but I swear I am going to cancel it one day - why pay when probably 3/4 do not pay and we dont listen to SABC radio stations or watch their crap

sjpslabbert

I missed a payment one year, and then discovered that they charge a 10% penalty fee PER MONTH. That was when I stopped paying. At this stage I it is about 2 years that I haven't paid, and they want me to pay almost R1000 (the biggest percentage of this amount is their ridiculous penalty). As long as they try to extort me with 120% penalties a year, they can go fly a kite

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Just because it’s a law doesn’t make it logical or right.

Apartheid was also a law.

If I actually used the thing for any of the services offered I would have no issue paying it. I literally do not have an aerial connected to anything.

Neither do I ... :(

And I still pay ...